MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 Clone Identification

Article about: Hi lads, I just won an auction for M1 (£8). One to actually wear, as my Belgian M1 is rather old and I'd feel bad if anything happened to it. Can anyone help me identify where this helmet is

?

Default Re: M1 Clone Identification

It sits nicely next to my Belgian M51. On the topic of M1 clones, does anyone know if M51 shells had any markings? Mine (which came with a 1955 dated Belgian army pressed fiber liner) has no markings that I could find anywhere.

At some point I'll have to go and hunt down a US M1.

Nitram

Hi Nitram,

Good pics. It is indeed Dutch. The liner is a Schubert Werke polycarbonate liner made in 1970 for use by the Royal Netherlands Air Force (RNAF). The sweat band should not be attached to the nape strap, but that is easily fixed.

The shell is manufactured by VerBliFa in 1955. VB55 19S3.The last figures indicate the steel batch number. The letter on the front is a B not 13.

The shell is a so called B-helmet for use by non combat organisations.

The liner is very common, but the shell is rather rare! Cherish it!

Dutch M53's were always marked with struck letters and numerals (an exception is the VB 1953 which is marked with a white stamp in the dome.

A few examples: VB55 (VerBliFa, Netherlands), LS58 (Linnemann & Schnetzer, Germany), VDN/81 (Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke, Germany), Lot 89 U's (Ulbricht's Witwe, Austria). US M-1's were also used on a small scale and were refurbished with Dutch parts.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Thanks for all the info Emile! I attached the sweat band properly now. Any idea what the two letters "A B" on the nape strap could mean?

Nitram

Hi Nitram,

A and B are probably just the soldiers initials.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Figured as much. Here's a last photo of the M53 on top of my Slovak Army 60's issue medic bag.

M1 Clone Identification

Nitram

Hello Nitram,

I would like to add some info on the letter B on the front of the shell. It stands for "Burger" (civilian). The B was added to differentiate civilian MOD workers from military personel.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Thanks for the info! I had thought that military helmets were marked grade "A" somewhere and the grade "B" signified the lower quality/defects, learn something new everyday on this forum!

Nitram

Hi Nitram,

No helmets were marked A in the Netherlands Defence Forces.

But rejected helmets were marked as B-helmets (Roman numeral II embossed and stamped in white paint) and were handed out to non-military organisations. Such as the Red Cross, Police and civilian workers in the MOD.

In the case of MOD civilian worker's helmets, these were marked additionally, with the capital B (Burger = civilian).

So your helmet can be traced specifically to MOD civilian workers.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 03-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2