Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M21 Swedish helm

Article about: Here I have a M21 Swedish helmet. There were two designs of the M21 the first was M1921/16 and the second M1921/18. They were both very similar except the later had a higher dome and a less

Default M21 Swedish helmet

Here I have a M21 Swedish helmet. There were two designs of the M21 the first was M1921/16 and the second M1921/18. They were both very similar except the later had a higher dome and a less pronounced flare on the rim. My model is the M1921/18 and was made after WW1. Only these first 2 models had the Swedish national shield affixed to the front of the helmet and had a comb on the crown of the helmet (these features were dropped on later models). The helmet itself has had a refurb on the paint during WW2 and has Swedish national shield decals applied to the sides as was implemented in 1942 to emphasise Swedish neutrality. The liner system is very similar to the German M17/M18 being a metal band with the liner pads attached. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M21 Swedish helm   M21 Swedish helm  

M21 Swedish helm   M21 Swedish helm  

M21 Swedish helm  

Again another nice example ian ,these dont come along that often ,im particularly fond of the frontal shield ,my m21/18 has been repainted at least once in its lifetime and i only noticed this when i spotted the side decals have been applied twice one atop the other

For comparison, here's an example of the other model of M21, that with the more prominent flatter brim. Also, in my hand and eye if no other, it seems to have a fractionally more prominent crest than the no-brim version.

I haven't included an interior shot because its really the same liner and strap and liner band as the other version.

This helmet (and I mean both of them) is slightly baffling to me because I have grown up (as a collector) believing that they are the M21/16 and m21/18 respectively. But when you actually do a bit of research it seems that there's not much to indicate that either of these helmets (which were introduced from about 1923 onwards) were ever actually called that, and were introduced at the same time not one after the other as the commonly-believed type number implies. They seem to be simply two concurrent variants of the M21, with the brimless being the one issued to the first-line units and the brimmed one issued more to second-line and reserve formations. (If anyone can tell me I'm totally misunderstanding this I would be delighted to know! Where is Anders Skotte's long-awaited Swedish helmets book anyway? Stuck in the same process as that Cotton tome, I expect...)

I'm sure I once read something referring to the flat-brimmed version as being known as the 'Hatter's helmet' in service, perhaps because of its fancied resemblance to a top hat.

One more thing - these (the no-brim version anyway - the flat-brim always has been a bit of a rarity) were comparatively easy to get about fifteen years ago and attracted a deal of rather dismissive comments as a result. All I can say is I wish I'd bought half a dozen when I could! Its a lesson, really - ignore the apparently easy to get and cheap objects at your peril - one day they will be hard to get, even if not more expensive.

M21 Swedish helm M21 Swedish helm M21 Swedish helm

?

Actually Skötte did write most of the article on Swedish helmets in Casques du Combat III, I also have Swedish manuscript which I translated into English for him back in 1988. I think we can discard forever the terms m/16 for what in fact the m/21 låg Form (low version) and m/18 for the m/21 hög form (high version). Sweden did not begin itys search for a steel helmet until August 1917. After examining the various designs produced by the Great War's participants Eskiltuna Stålpressings AB produced in 1918 a couple of hundred prototypes which generally resembled (including the vent horns for a brow shield) the Stahlhelm. Its main distinctive features were the addition of a ridge on the top and the tre-kroner shield on the front. These helmets termed Försökshjälm Modell A and B (the former being thinner and lighter than the latter) underwent troop trials in 1919 and 1920, but were not well received. ESAB was sent back to the drawing board and came back with a couple of more compact designs, without any vent holes which were officially adopted as the Hjälm modell-1921 on 8 December 1922.
    Skötte provides no explanation of why there are high and low versions of this helmet, but notes the low version is also known as the Landstorm helmet (i.e. militia) although it certainly seems to been issued to regular Army units

Here is a photo of my Försökshjälm Modell B it was a some point refitted with m/26 furniture and was found in a Stockholm Home Guard depot.
    Roger
    M21 Swedish helmM21 Swedish helmM21 Swedish helmM21 Swedish helm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M21 Swedish helm   M21 Swedish helm  

Hi ian ,here is that cover we discussed earlier SWEDEN SWEDISH m59 HELMET NET COVER | eBay

For the record, here's a few I have and sorry I'm virtually illiterate and not very smart

Very nice collection René

Quote by Redstalker View Post
    Very nice collection René
    Cheers Ian
    I have a bunch more of these, well the three patts I know of?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Cheers Ian
    I have a bunch more of these, well the three patts I know of?
    You need a M/37 helmet!
    At least, I cannot identify one in the photo you posted.

(And the M/37-59 and M/37-65)

?

Nice Helmets!!