Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M51 Steel Combat Helmet strange liner it seems like its from another helmet

Article about: Let me please know what you guys think? Buy it or leave it?

Default Re: M51 Steel Combat Helmet strange liner it seems like its from another helmet

Quote by Ingrid Patrouille View Post
    A British turtle helmet? with a Belgian liner. ABL (Armée Belge/ Belgisch Leger). That's all I know.

Regards
    Well its a French M51 shell and I guess with a belgian liner as far as I can tell I never had seen one like this before, so I really wonder if its something real or just putting together so they can sell it.

Default Re: M51 Steel Combat Helmet strange liner it seems like its from another helmet

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Well, this is interesting. Its clearly a strange thing, and has caught my eye because of the Belgian liner (I have recently been having a bit of a thing with Belgian helmets). It certainly isn't a British Mk3/4 shell, although it does sorta kinda slightly look like one form the angle, but I'd put money on it being a French Mle51. With a Belgian liner stuck inside it. The thing is of course that the Mle51 is a two-piece helmet like the US M1 and is not drilled for a crown-mounted liner. And such a thing would be completely in the wrong place for practical use. Most peculiar.

What can we say for certain (ish); French Mle51 shell, Belgian liner for either the Mle49 (Mk2 clone) or the short-lived Belgian Mk3 clone. I'm tempted to say that This Child Ain't Right. Can we see a side-on profile shot of the shell for certainty. Don't buy it unless you have a penchant for the unusual and/or cobbled together in a shed.
    Great thank you for thinking with me I thought the same thing a french 51 shell with a Belgian liner from the MK belgian clones, theres a photo from the shell itself on the site where I found it but it don't let me download. The photo I placed here is from the owner who send it to me through email, thats why I could post for you all to see. But the form of the shell is from a French steel helmet, I seriously doubt that its a original helmet it seems that its scrape together so that it could sell a bit better for people that don't know too much about steel helmets. The model of the shell is like (see the photo) (photo is taken from another site its not mine) M51 Steel Combat Helmet strange liner it seems like its from another helmet

Leave it, it's not original, most likely has been put together by a kid to play army

dont waste your money

Yeah, that's absolutely a French Mle51 (and the phot you used is from *my* website, so I'm pretty certain!). It is virtually 100percent certain (I'm always open to be proved wrong) that this is a patchwork piece and never an issue model. However, it is worth remembering that there are instances where the Mle51 shell has been given a fixed liner and not its normal removable M1-like liner, but they were either experimental/test forms like one for Sweden, or they were properly designed liners, not just one from a different helmet altogether. If you scroll down to the lower area of this exceptionally useful and detailed page on the Mle51 - .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle TTA 51 :. - you will see some.

Quote by hellschickie View Post
    I see its in the world steel helmet section now, thats the good place for this thread I made . I made a newbe mistake thank you for correcting it Tony.

greets...
    The mod over there must have moved it. I had no clue what type of helmet it was. Someone suggested that the thread should belong with German helmets. As it was a post war piece it seemed that the Bundeswehr forum made sense. Anyway, glad to see that the thread is getting some action and information is being exchanged.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

this helmet has been passed around the forum like a hot potato but its now in the right place ,greg if it is cobbled together what a shame to have drilled a hole through the crown and even with the belguim liner fitted it still incomplete with the cross pad missing can i say you take it well when people use pictures from you very own website i suppose its a compliment in a way ,i wouldnt buy this one hellschickie

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    The mod over there must have moved it. I had no clue what type of helmet it was. Someone suggested that the thread should belong with German helmets. As it was a post war piece it seemed that the Bundeswehr forum made sense. Anyway, glad to see that the thread is getting some action and information is being exchanged. Cheers,Tony
    Tony, I moved it to here...as it was not German in any way or form, I thought this was the best place for it.....as it is now been deemed to be French, it seems I was correct, apologies for not notifying you.....
    Prost ! Steve.

No worries Steve, and thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2