Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M56 "Zweiteilige"

Article about: My newest acquisition The M56 (Zweiteilige) Bundeswehr stalhelm shell is made by Quist dated 56' batch 60, it has stitched chinstraps and type one brass hardwear... it's a shame but at some

Default M56 "Zweiteilige"

My newest acquisition
    The M56 (Zweiteilige) Bundeswehr stalhelm
    shell is made by "Quist" dated 56' batch 60, it has stitched chinstraps and type one brass hardwear... it's a shame but at some time in its life someone has taken 2 pot shots at it with an airgun/bb gun/airsoft??? and then attempted to hammer out the dent..... ineptly missed and caused another dent outwards!!(see photos) I fitted an American WW II type net as this is as close to the original as I could find ...for now!!!.
    The liner is stamped P. S. P. a maker I haven't come across before!!!....and it's also dated 56' it has a stiched nape strap
    your comments please gents!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M56 "Zweiteilige"   M56 "Zweiteilige"  

M56 "Zweiteilige"   M56 "Zweiteilige"  

M56 "Zweiteilige"  

Nice. A hard to find helmet. I frequently check such as Ebay.de for these and find nothing, and even when I do they run away from me, pricewise (too many helmet collectors have too much spending money) I found one almost by accident in a militaria fair in Brecon a few years back, being sold as a US M1 WW2-period. The strangest thing was that I *knew* it wasn;t that even before I picked it up and saw the stamps which conclusively proved otherwise. Mine is also a PSP liner with an FWO shell.

Lots of useful knowledge here (as usual) - .: World War Helmets - Casque Modell 56 :. - and also at various places within Warrelics such as - The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet. - (I can't be the only person who wishes all these separate threads on the same subject could be brought together) and also within this Bundeswehr section of Wehrmacht Awards Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums . Ah, if we could only bring all this stuff into easily-searchable and browsable form there would be a *wonderful* online encyclopedia of helmets!

Anyway, good helmet, good buy, lucky man - now to find example number 2 for compare and contrast!

I found this example on eBay u.k.!!!!!! listed as US M1 Vietnam era !!! Fitted with this well worn and subsequently repaired erdl helmet cover...certainly has age to it!! but i Guess all the graffiti is bogus!!!.... added post war!! But like yourself i recognised the maker stamp of both the Shell and liner as the rare M56!!! now just need to find another liner for my other "Quist" Shell!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M56 "Zweiteilige"   M56 "Zweiteilige"  

Last edited by austromunga; 02-01-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: missed word

?

A very nice and scarce model Austromunga, I have been on the look out for a complete one for a number of years, so congrats on this purchase buddy!

The ERDL cover is an interesting piece too, would be nice to think the graffiti was original to the cover

very nice indeed mate and as greg says quite a rare helmet to find ,steve the moderator has an example over on the bundeswehr forum ,im sure he would like to see it ,great cover too ,just goes to show what may be underneath ,well done, as you know i recently picked up this helm reprasentation allthough modern perhaps an example like this one it might be a good stand in for your other shell

Hi all
    I now have a liner to fit my other "M56 Zweiteilige" its a modern helm "representation" as these were made the same way as the originals.... after James C snapped up the last one seen on the Bay!!!!! a few of us had on watch...then it disappeared!!!!! couldn't have gone to a better home though!!!! so anyway.... I managed recently to come across another.. on a buy it now.... so here it is!!......
    it too... like the one James has is "shhiiinnnnyyy"
    I also added my "BGS"sumpftarn parka hood for the time being ... until I can pick up the correct 1950's splinter type!!!

Hi all
    I now have an original SW 56' liner for my other "M56 Zweiteilige" Quist made shell!!!! and also an original splitter camo hood for a helmet cover!! here's a pic of the "TWINS" together!!

M56 "Zweiteilige"  

Hi all
    Well this new year has been very good to me so far!!!!
    I am glad to present to you my latest acquisition... another M56 "zweiteilige" early Bundeswehr helmet and liner!!!!
    I found this one, once again listed as an Vietnam era helmet!!! (the ERDL helmet cover had the seller fooled I think!!!!!) and for the second time right here in the U.K!!!!!!!!
    The sellers pics only showed the outside!!! (the ERDL cover.. and the liner ...which is what first drew me to this example...as I spotted it to be the Rare M56 liner!! so I pulled the trigger on the B.I.N. and took the chance!!!!!
    As it turns out..... this one.... like my other two is also a Quist made shell (these helmets were of poor quality steel (stipulation of the treaty signed after the war!!) and hence dent and damage easily!!! this one has been factory re-finished... and the makers mark was covered in new paint!!! (I uncovered the mark with a little very fine wet"n" dry!!!) it's very feint... see pics
    F.W. Q E 56....... the batch unfortunately didn't come out at all!!! but I'm still chuffed to bits its an original shell!!!! got lucky I guess!!!!!
    The liner marked HRS - Gr. umst. 56... for "Hermann Rommler Spremberg" "Grob umstadt" is also Quite an unusual maker it seems!!!!!!!...Marked on the headband in green biro "Gefr UA Vetter" it is however missing it's liner chinstrap!! ... this seems to be the only fly in the ointment!!! but... I'm still well happy!!!!!!!
    so anyway here's some pics of my new baby together with my other two examples.... the "TRIPLETS" as I have now dubbed them!!!
    also some pics of all three shells and liners.... showing their other distinguishing features... namely the Nape straps are stitched type for the liners...and the rear seams of the shells have four distinctive spot welds!!!!

M56 "Zweiteilige"  

beautiful trio paul ,chuffed to bits for you and what a great start to the new year

Well, I have been after an M56 for what seems like ages and I have just acquired a very nice liner from a source in Bavaria.
    It looks to me as if it did service with the Wachtbatalion after the M56 went out of service and has never lived inside a steel pot judging by the overall condition and the shiny BW gloss green on the outside.
    It is PSP58 marked and has been worn but very lightly!

I am now continuing to search for the steel shell if anybody can point me towards one (I would probably be prepared to take a complete lid).

Here are a coupole of pics for reference;

M56 "Zweiteilige"M56 "Zweiteilige"M56 "Zweiteilige"M56 "Zweiteilige"M56 "Zweiteilige"M56 "Zweiteilige"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."