Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MK IV turtle riot helmet

Article about: Just to share another helmet that has been on my Radar for a long while ,this example appears to be an earlier type looking at the two point elasticated chinstrap and lift the dot liner ,i b

Default MK IV turtle riot helmet

Just to share another helmet that has been on my Radar for a long while ,this example appears to be an earlier type looking at the two point elasticated chinstrap and lift the dot liner ,i believe the latter examples had a 3 point modified shell and chinstrap ,the visor and liner show no maker marks or stamps as with most example's iv'e seen and the liner to my annoyance looks to have had the date deliberately removed .perhaps some learned member's can cast more light on these MK IV turtle riot helmetMK IV turtle riot helmetMK IV turtle riot helmetMK IV turtle riot helmetMK IV turtle riot helmetMK IV turtle riot helmetMK IV turtle riot helmet
    Last edited by James C; 07-22-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Am i right in assuming this early configuration would of been in use around the 1960's time frame ? from what i have researched so far the 3 point harness and extra rear shell mount were introduced sometime in the late 70's ,like i say id really like to learn more on it if anybody could kindly help
    Last edited by James C; 07-27-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Certainly from my own personal point of view, these were used all the way up to the early '80's, either in Cyprus or of course Northern Ireland (not wanting to teach grandma to suck eggs though James )
    "Per Ardua"

Thank you Paul for your input and your first hand knowledge of these so quite a long life span then it would seem ,this one came from a few irish lads selling gear and helmet's etc at this year's war and peace event and the only riot helmet i could see on there stands but had to grab it for the shelf
    cheer's James

Can't say that I ever remember wearing these helmets with that pattern of liner when I was in Andersonstown in 71/72, ours were the sponge-padded type.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK IV turtle riot helmet  

Thanks Steve can you remember off hand if it had a 3 point chinstrap at all

Quote by James C View Post
    Thanks Steve can you remember off hand if it had a 3 point chinstrap at all
    I never remember a 3 point chinstrap tbh
    "Per Ardua"

Paul thats fine and thanks ,i have seen mkV example's with an additional rear strap point on the shell and to be honest it was only when i got the helmet home i started to notice the differances, the MkIV liner for one ,then i thought hang on don't these usually have a nape strap ,well the one's i've seen so far seem too

The one's we had were the bog-standard chinstrap. I can remember that the bl**dy things tried to bounce off your head when you were running after the rioters. More often than not we didn't use them anyway.

Apologies for the orientation of the picture, its the right way up in my file.

Thanks Steve and Paul for your first hand account of these riot helmet's ,much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast