Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

my french helmets

Article about: here's my collection of french helmets from ww1 adrian ,ww2 adrian ,model 51 ,and two Opération Daguet f1's the progression from inner tubes as a way of tidying up and holding the helmet edg

JBR
    ?

Default Re: my french helmets

I have read it was very uncommon to have matching manufacturers of M51 shells and liners! But they do turn up just occasionally. Best Regards,

Your Police helmet is a Gendarmerie helmet(Army)
    .: World War Helmets - France :.

Put the mouse on the helmet.

?

Another great set of lids you have got there

great link lebus many thanks ,james
    Regards James

?

Love the Gendarmerie helmet James, I have yet to add a M51 gendarmerie model to my collection, I have only M56 tap versions so far.

here's my pair of gulf war f1's ,the one on the right has the latter 2nd gulf war cover used by airforce ground crews ,it has the same coloration of the daquet cover but has a rubber retaining bumper around the rim ,one is dated 1990 the other 2001my french helmets

Happy new lids mate!........

?

James as you know I have a soft spot for all French Helmets, an excellent addition to your collection, these covers are a great evolution from the drawstring original Daguet cover. I have a similar cover to your's used by the Armée de l’Air - Les fusiliers commandos , ( French Air Force Commandos ).

I look forward to more of your French helmets.

The May 1968 protest in France wearing the Mle 51 Gendarmerie helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture my french helmets   my french helmets  

JBR
    ?

I, too, have a fondness for French helmets and especially the M51. I'd be interested to know if there is any hard evidence as to why the M51 differs quite radically in shape from the US M1 on which it is based. In my opinion, the difference between the two is largely a question of design accent - ie French in the M51! However, apart from a vague similarity to some medieval helmets seen in depictions of events during the 100 Years War (Jeanne D'Arc etc), perhaps it's simply that the M51 was for so long a familiar aspect of French troops in newsreels etc and is therefore so closely identified with their appearance. However, and this is guesswork, the modification of the US profile to the French one does suggest 3 possible considerations: 1) The pronounced brim flair to the rear: I remember reading (in a Marcus Cotton article in Militaria Magazine on the British Mk3) that when the British Army evaluated the US M1 during WW2 criticism was made of the tendency for rain water to trickle down the soldier's neck from the rear brim of the M1. Perhaps the M51 flair is an answer to this problem? 2) The reduced peak: Over the years, peaks have disappeared from helmets partly, perhaps, because they do have a tendency to interfere with some hand held equipment and helmet fitments and can obstruct peripheral vision in some situations. Did the French take this into account, too? 3) The generally simpler pot-shape: Was it a way to avoid the stress cracks that occur in M1s? If anyone better read than I am has information on how the M51 shape was arrived at, I'd be really interested to know about it. Best Regards, John

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast