Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My new swedish helmet Mod 21 "High"

Article about: Hello Here is my new swedish Helmet: a 21 high . There is something written inside. I think that's a name ( Johanson ?) and some numbers ... what? Cheers from France Jean Loup

Default My new swedish helmet Mod 21 "High"

Hello

Here is my new swedish Helmet: a 21 "high".

There is something written inside. I think that's a name ("Johanson"?) and some numbers ... what?

Cheers from France

Jean Loup

?

Very nice Jean Loup, and in remarkable condition.

I would guess the digits relate to a service number/unit number, either way great to see that this piece is named,great provenance!

?

Nice one, and welcome to the forum!

The name appears to read: " Johenson" (I'm not too surprised it doesn't say : "Johensen". It's common for swedes to have "sen" as opposed to "son". My last name is "Lawson" , and it's Swedish .
    I'm part Swedish and m I don't even have one of these!
    Dean.

Most likely it read Johanson. "-sen" is fairly common in Denmark, "-son" is the Swedish variant.

I don't know if Johensen is a real name. I have never heard of it, because the prefix "Johen" should be able to form a name on its own, and it is not able to do so (well not here at least, can't speak on behalf of the rest of the world), since surnames with -sen endings are derived from the old way of naming boys the fathers first name, and then søn (English: son) afterwards.
    E.g. Erik Johans søn -- Litterally meaning Erik, son of Johan.
    With time these names morphed with "-søn" and the "ø" was replaced with an "e" since the sound is slightly different when the "name" and "søn" morphed together.

There is a ton of surnames ending with -sen in Denmark and -son in Sweden. (This is true for Norway as well) They rank as the most used surnames of all time. The Swedes prefer the ending -son, and since this is a Swedish helmet, and the name Johan is fairly common through Scandinavian history (several Swedish Kings are named Johan), it is most likely "Johanson".

On a different note, it is a very nice helmet
    I own several, and I really like the design.

waow! what a great explanation!

Thanks to you all.

I have many swedish helmet: Mod 21 flat and high, mod 26 civilian and army and a mod 37 civilian. I will soon look for a 37 with yellow crown

Cheers from France

Jean Loup

?

Looks like 'Johansson' (double 's').

oh yes... why not :-)

Thank you

Jean Loup