Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My wonderful Mk4 turtle Helmet from the royal artillery

Article about: Hello Here is my MK4 I dont know were it was used Korea or Vietnam? It was made 1952 and painted green Rough with decal on one side The interior is from 1966 and all is in good condition chi

Default My wonderful Mk4 turtle Helmet from the royal artillery

Hello
    Here is my MK4
    I dont know were it was used Korea or Vietnam?
    It was made 1952 and painted green Rough with decal on one side
    The interior is from 1966 and all is in good condition
    chinstrap is missing
    Phahaps one of you have an idea or the Knowledge for this helmet
    Best regards,
    Bavarian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My wonderful Mk4 turtle Helmet from the royal artillery   My wonderful Mk4 turtle Helmet from the royal artillery  

My wonderful Mk4 turtle Helmet from the royal artillery   My wonderful Mk4 turtle Helmet from the royal artillery  

My wonderful Mk4 turtle Helmet from the royal artillery   My wonderful Mk4 turtle Helmet from the royal artillery  

Well, that for sure is a MkIV shell as it has the lower chinstrap lugs as opposed to the higher ones of the MkIII but the "lift the dot" peg rivetted into the top is missing and replaced by a nut and bolt. Of course an enterprising soldier might have replaced a broken or missing peg with a nut and bolt but this looks a bit recent to me. I can't read the date stamp but if it is 1952 that would match with the Korean War. The liner being dated 1966 is clearly not Korean War period.
    If the diamond flash is dark red and dark blue (difficult to be sure of the darkness of the red in particular in these pics) that fits for The Royal Fusiliers who did serve in Korea, Sir Michael Caine was a Private in that regiment and served in Korea. If it is a lighter red and black that suggests to me logistics so probaly an ordnance unit.

British troops were not deployed in Vietnam and I don't know if the Australian contingent wore helmets at all in that conflict (or if they ever used the MkIV to be honest).

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

PS I should be clear and say that I am speaking of dark blue or black on the flash. With Royal Artillery flashes the blue tends to be a very obvious blue although historically whatever paint was available would be used. It's just that the RA in my experience never had a shortage of paint particularly red, blue and white for everything that didn't move (If it moves salute it, if it doesn't move paint it" Old saying just for Steve "Harry the Mole" My dad was a gunner back in the'50s and he used to say it all the time )
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-30-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."