Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mystery Italian/Spanish M33 Helmet

Article about: Hello! I recently picked up this odd Italian helmet, I believe it to be a Spanish Civil War used helmet but I'm not sure if it's even an M33. The only stamp I could find was T-59 (which I as

Umbertto Pappini’s book - ‘The Helmets – The Italian CTV and the Spanish Civil War.' also known as 'Gli Elmetti Del Corpo Truppe Volontarie Italiano e Della Guerra Civile Spagnola. Published 2015. And I've never heard of it before, so thanks very much for that Steve.

I'm not a huge enthusiast of the SCW or the M33, but this sounds interesting. A first pass on Amazon and ABE and a few other places isn't showing anything except it exists but is presently unavailable. Amazon Germany does seem to have copies but its tagged as 'not available to your address'. Tried searching for a pdf too, which isn't ideal but sometimes useful for OP books, and nothing. Will persevere. (Where did you order your copy from, Trwade?)

Anyway, back to the plot, I am quite pleased that the book seems to confirm the Spanish connection of this helmet, and that we probably have a conclusion. Thanks Steve!

?

Hi again, sometime the answer is right under our or in this case my nose!
    This morning a rivet from my Spanish M1926 Sin Ala helmet caught my eye.

This model was refurbished, here are component's photos for comparaison with yours, enjoy.

This last photo is amazing, an improvised leather washer!

Regards
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack59; 03-08-2024 at 11:35 PM.

?

There's one on eBay Greg.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...liano&_sacat=0

SCW not really my thing either but the range of helmets makes the book very interesting. it was a spur of the moment eBay buy for me that I don't regret.

Steve.

?

Beat me to it Steve, that's the same listing where I got my copy as-well. I reached out to that seller on eBay and he is actually the author of that book. I sent him a link to this thread to get his opinions also.
    -Jack

?

Umbertto Pappini got back to me and was absolutely positive this M33 is of Spanish origin. Specifically a post war refurbishment done most likely in the 40's. I can rest easy knowing a lot more about this helmet and I greatly appreciate all of the info and help regarding this helmet. Thanks everyone!

-Jack

?

Mystery solved, great thread.

Steve

Thanks to all who provided info about the Pappini book. I hadn't thought to try ebay.it . I used to use it and all the other European ebays a few years ago but had enormous trouble logging in now. And then when I 'bought' the book it was rejected because the seller won't send to the UK. I have found another copy elsewhere (a single copy so I won't give details) so some progress. I love a good helmet book. (Mind you there are less good helmet books than there could to be)

Here's another example of the type of helmet people refer to as Finnish-refurbed. But based on the rivet holes at the front, these helmets really are actually Spanish. The helmet pictured is not mine, although I do have one similar without the holes on the front.

?

Here's another example of the type of helmet people refer to as Finnish-refurbed. But based on the rivet holes at the front, these helmets really are actually Spanish. The helmet pictured is not mine, although I do have one similar without the holes on the front.
    Very interesting helmet for many reasons. Specially the punch in 4 holes! One is to many! This helmet was probably part many sitting on top of each others for a long time. Could the stress of the weight of other helmets caused that crack? With already four holes grouped together, yes very possible. So why would that helmet have holes?

FYI the helmet's Spanish National insignia was adopted officially in 1943. It had to be removable, a small metal plate was welded roughly on the existing helmets & spot welded on the new helmets to that effect. Before that solution, the helmets were perforated to attach the insignia or it was glued on.

Regards
    Jack

Quote by OsiusGaming View Post

It is worth pointing out that the liner on this one is pretty much identical to the example I posted earlier, taken from the collection of a Finnish collector. The original webpage does not show the front of the helmet head-on but close examination of the available pictures shows no hint of unusual holes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast