Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Need help from the M1 Clone Expert

Article about: Hello fellow collector, i just bought this Indonesian Air Force (TNI AU) shell along with the WW2 british canteen in the antique market. The TNI AU roundel inside the shell The comparison wi

Default Re: Need help from the M1 Clone Expert

Quote by feldgrau33 View Post
    Hmm interesting, is there any possibility this helmet is based from the south korean M76?
    South Korean M76 is a fiber helmet.....can't be that.

JBR
    ?

Taking up the China aspect, the profile of this helmet seems very like the GK80A to me - albeit with a rim and seemingly in need of a separate M1-style liner. Being heavier than a US M1, this may also hint at Chinese manufacture as the GK80s I've handled are surprisingly hefty. Only speculation, but could the Chinese have made a US system helmet when seeking to replace Japanese and Russian types but ultimately opting for the one piece GK80? A rejected model is often taken up by others - eg the S Korean M76 that started life as an Israeli project. Best Regards,

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Can you supply a little more detail on the Mystery Helmet, please. Is the shell magnetic or not, what does it weigh, does it appear to be well-made or roughly manufactured (taking into account age and wear of course). So far no-one I have discussed this with outside Warrelics has the slightest idea, and some of them are *very* knowledgeable collectors. You may have something quite unusual there. Or again, it may turn out to be something so obvious we haven't noticed it yet. But so far, so baffling!
    I believe it's non-magnetic. And the weight is approximately 1,2 kgs. I guess it's a well made, you almost can't see the end seam on the shell. The end seam is above the roundel paint btw. The welding spot on the chinstrap holder is really precise. And the roundel paint is genuine.
    I hope someone can identify it.

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    South Korean M76 is a fiber helmet.....can't be that.
    Pardon me, i mean from the helmet shape.

Quote by JBR View Post
    Taking up the China aspect, the profile of this helmet seems very like the GK80A to me - albeit with a rim and seemingly in need of a separate M1-style liner. Being heavier than a US M1, this may also hint at Chinese manufacture as the GK80s I've handled are surprisingly hefty. Only speculation, but could the Chinese have made a US system helmet when seeking to replace Japanese and Russian types but ultimately opting for the one piece GK80? A rejected model is often taken up by others - eg the S Korean M76 that started life as an Israeli project. Best Regards,
    Ah i see, thank you for the infomation.
    And as you know the shell is lower than the euro clone m1 and more heavy. Could it be this helmet was meant for the indonesian profile? Helmet much lower so it won't attract the opposition easier.

I also have an m1 helmet im trying to identify.the mitchell cover is undated and worn.the helmet shell has the black hardware with p stamp. Seems painted over a pea green through cracks snd rust.swivel bale back seam.inside is written h1959 in ink.trying to find a heat stamp.it has airbourne straps.the liner is airbourne and stamped may 27 1967 on webbing.leather band is so rubbed i cant make out.most paint is gone on the liner.inside the liner crown is stamped M v l? Mv1 ? Can anyone identify this? Tried to post pics but having trouble!!! Helmet looks used alot the shell and liner....thanks im stumped ned expert!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3