MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with WW1 Helmet

Article about: I need help with this rimless helmet and design. has HV 19- stamped inside Thanks

Frank
    ?

Default Need help with WW1 Helmet

I need help with this rimless helmet and design. has HV 19- stamped inside Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with WW1 Helmet   Need help with WW1 Helmet  

Default Re: Need help with WW1 Helmet

I think it may be Portuguese.

Yep, Portuguese.

Portuguese MkI Steel Helmet

This design was based on the British MkI. These helmets were used by Portugal into the 1930s, thus this particular example features the later liner that likely replaced the old British style version. Likewise this helmet features the transfer of the Defensa Civil Territorial.
    Military Collection of Peter Suciu

Frank
    ?

Thanks for the info. Think it has any value?

As already indicated this is a Portuguese helmet, or to be precise a British shell with a specifically Portuguese liner, used after the First World War, in this case by the DCT (Defensa Civil Territorial), a Portuguese civil defence organisation.

As to value - well it depends what you mean. It is a very interesting and comparatively uncommon helmet. But in a world where only German helmets or fixed-bale M1s seem to have 'value' to some collectors 'value' is a much misused concept. As far as I am concerned pretty much any helmet has 'value' in that it is part of the field I am interested in.

If it is cash money you are concerned about, then these will sell for at least 50 US or 30 UKP on eBay for example, and often for more. But there again some people think they have no 'value' because they aren't Third Reich or were never used in war, or somesuch baffling nonsense.

Greg Pickersgill

Nuno, knows all about these, he will surely give additional comments asap!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Indeed it its.
    Its decal itself represents the "Defesa Territorial Civil", these were issued to the Portuguese legion.
    The green cross is called "Cruz de Avis".
    This rimless example is in great condition. Congrats.
    Over here its fairly common, and in complete and good condition they can sell for 90 - 100 euros.
    Here are my two examples a relic rimless one and a combat one.
    Cheers.
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with WW1 Helmet   Need help with WW1 Helmet  

I've seen a few of these pass through the halls of eBay and they always demand a decent amount of money, better than $100 US in every case!