Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need a little help: post war German helmet

Article about: hi everyone new guy here need a little help with identifying this helmet i brought & its bugging as all my searches have come to a dead end. here's what i do know its post ww2 & the

?

Question Need a little help: post war German helmet

hi everyone new guy here need a little help with identifying this helmet i brought & its bugging as all my searches have come to a dead end. here's what i do know its post ww2 & the decals do not belong but that's it so please can any of you guys help put me out of my misery thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need a little help: post war German helmet   Need a little help: post war German helmet  

Need a little help: post war German helmet  

?

Default re: Need a little help: post war German helmet

i knew it wasn't ww2 but i dident think it was a replica just another version of the German style helmet used after ww2 wow atleast i know now thanks.

Hello Wolfman,

This helmet was used by the BGS (Bundes Grenz Schutz) or Federal Border Police. They used this helmet from the early fifties till the nineties. This helmet was produced by VDN and L&S. The liner is the I53.

The colour is correct for the BGS. The Heer eagle is of course a replica.

Nothing wrong with this helmet. Simply take of the eagle and you have a nice post war police helmet.

Cheers,

Emile

?

cool thanks Emile that makes more sense as it was still bugging me i dident think it was a replica just the decals were put on by someone trying to make one & yes i will remove the eagle decal thanks again. by the way did they have any kind of markings or were they just left plain?

?

that's ok no probs i'm sure you see allot of this type of thing all the time so no worry's mate.

Hi Wolfman,

These helmets used by the BGS were unmarked in a sense that they did not have decals. Production markings in the rear skirt like L&S or possibly VDN might be present.

These same helmets were also produced for Municipal Police use. They were in different colors. Gray I believe. These sometimes have a decal with the City arms or possibly the arms of the federal state.

They were made with and without air vents and with or without rivets. Later production did have the top fastening.

Most common without rivets and without vents.

Cheers,
    Emile

You might have a look at this site: http://www.germanhelmet.com/abouthelmet.html

Hi Wolfman,

This site by Joseba is very good.

Unfortunately in Spanish, but still ecxelent info!

Cheers,
    Emile

ALEMÁN 35

?

thanks again Emile Ive now removed the decals so its just plain know but ya can still that it had them without repainting i cant get rid of those marks but atleast its how it should be. all in all a really nice piece to add to my collection & @ £40 a bargain

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Hi Wolfman,

... These same helmets were also produced for Municipal Police use. They were in different colors. Gray I believe. These sometimes have a decal with the City arms or possibly the arms of the federal state.

Cheers,
    Emile[/url]
    Dear Emile and fellows,

quite right. German police is organised and administered by the Federal States, some of which used decals on their WH type helmets: Hamburg, Bremen, Hessen, Saarland, Baden-Württemberg and Bayern. I've got one that has a Berlin Bear decal, but I'm not sure that this was officially worn.

Please note: Hamburg, Bremen and Berlin are Federal States, sometimes for obvious reasons called "City States", so there police forces are not municipal forces but "Polizei des Bundeslandes".

The grey painted WH type helmets seem to have been used mainly or only in Berlin.

A lot of WW II production Wehrmacht helmets were re-issued to BGS and Polizei in their beginnings in the late 1940s.

Yours,

Olaf

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for your information! Nice to "see" you in this forum as well!

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast