Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Opinions on NVA Pith helmet

Article about: Any opinions on the originality of this NVA helmet? Found on ebay, dealer has multiple similar in condition.

As a couple of the guys have already said, the issue of this dealer having several of a very rare item is a red flag as big as a bedsheet!!!

A genuine item would be at least 55 years old and unless it was pretty well kept this one seems to be in disproportionately good order given the climate of SE Asia and the materials from which these are made.

Rock solid provenance would be the only thing to persuade me of originality here and I doubt that is available for this one?

It's possibly OK as a "gap filler" or a prop in a display of period items but in itself

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by ogpsycho View Post
    My fault! I thought you talk about the Nationale Volksarmee (NVA).
    Sorry for confusion!

Kind regards
    Basti
    Had the same reaction when seeing the title... ;-)
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Interesting comment. It reminds me of a photo of an East German military advisor in North Vietnam wearing an NVA pith helmet.

Visually this one really does look the part steel spy and would make for a fine display piece but i am in agreement with the above comments from the more Learned forum friends who have commented and i trust there judgement 100% ,I have what i believe to be a 1970's period example for comparison ,the example you posted up shows remnants of what looks a detached liner label but would imagine these are found on probably all of these Pith helmet's manufactured ,here is my example which i am happy to share with you ,i added the insignia for display purposesOpinions on NVA Pith helmetOpinions on NVA Pith helmet
    Regards James

Quote by ogpsycho View Post
    My fault! I thought you talk about the Nationale Volksarmee (NVA).
    Sorry for confusion!

Kind regards
    Basti
    Yep, I often find that a Google search for one brings up the other ie NVA, Nationale Volksarmme or NVA, North Vietnamese Army

Ironically there were NVA, Nationale Volksarmee advisors to the NVA North Vietnamese Army so ironically one might have witnessed a DDR soldier wearing one of these pith helments (probaly should call it a Solar Topee from the Hindi; Shola Topi) just as one would see a North Vietnamese soldier with a type M56 steel helmet

All part of the fun in this hobby!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by James C View Post
    Visually this one really does look the part steel spy and would make for a fine display piece but i am in agreement with the above comments from the more Learned forum friends who have commented and i trust there judgement 100% ,I have what i believe to be a 1970's period example for comparison ,the example you posted up shows remnants of what looks a detached liner label but would imagine these are found on probably all of these Pith helmet's manufactured ,here is my example which i am happy to share with you ,i added the insignia for display purposesOpinions on NVA Pith helmetOpinions on NVA Pith helmet
    Hi James, yes it does look the part.

The trouble with these is that; they were made before the war and are still made today, plus they were not exclusively military and as has been said above every peasant in the fields wore one and largely still does! So this really is a provence issue if ever there was one.

Just consider how many people step out smartly today in a Burberry trenchcoat believing it to the height of sophisticated modern fashion. Is that so? Nope and neither is it true of the famous "British Warm" camel hair overcoat

Opinions on NVA Pith helmet

Regards

Mark

@ HARRY THE MOLE
    Looks good in my opinion, but I am not an expert on Tschakos.

Kind regards
    Basti

You are right Mark. DDR helmets were issued to North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gunners, as well as Soviet helmets. (I have seen photos in books.)

That's hilarious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2