Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Original paint back please

Article about: Hallo everyone I would like to know how you can get the first original paint layer back from helmets that has been repainted over? I have 4 helmets which I would love to see the original pai

Default Original paint back please

Hallo everyone

I would like to know how you can get the first original paint layer back from helmets that has been repainted over? I have 4 helmets which I would love to see the original paint back again.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks...

Original paint back please

Default Re: Original paint back please

Please see the restoration forum: lots of threads about this there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I have looked around for it on this forum, but I think overlooked it. I see a lot of restoration projects but none really get into the details of getting rid of the layer of paint that covers the original paint. Could you help me with a link if you know any?

Thx

Easier to spray on new OD paint over the old.

If you must strip off the outer layer to get to what is underneath,
    use Acetone. But, it is A LOT of work - and in doing this, you
    might also remove the original layers.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Easier to spray on new OD paint over the old.

If you must strip off the outer layer to get to what is underneath,
    use Acetone. But, it is A LOT of work - and in doing this, you
    might also remove the original layers.........
    Thank you very much for the advise, too bad there isn't any saver way to get rid of the unwanted paint thats over the original paint.

I have in the past used a low pressure modellers sand blast airbrush to expose original paint on all manner of things from military vehicles through to aircraft. I managed to reveal an original 7th Gurkha Rifles emblem on my Land Rover from underneath 3 layers of more modern paint so anything's possible. It's a whole heap of work and very messy but oh so satisfying!

Quote by Rigglet View Post
    I have in the past used a low pressure modellers sand blast airbrush to expose original paint on all manner of things from military vehicles through to aircraft. I managed to reveal an original 7th Gurkha Rifles emblem on my Land Rover from underneath 3 layers of more modern paint so anything's possible. It's a whole heap of work and very messy but oh so satisfying!
    I do got airbrush but it can not blast sand with it only paint, so I guess thats not an option for me. And yes I get your drift it might be a lot of work but when your done and have a good result its all worth it