Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Our New Addition - Dutch M-34

Article about: Hello everyone, it’s been some time since we’ve shown our face here on WRF but not for any other reason than we’ve been very busy. It’s been a little slow on the helmet collecting front as w

Default Our New Addition - Dutch M-34

Hello everyone, it’s been some time since we’ve shown our face here on WRF but not for any other reason than we’ve been very busy. It’s been a little slow on the helmet collecting front as well however, me and the kid made the rounds this weekend and came home with this little beauty. I’ve wanted to add one of these Dutch M34s to the shelf for some time just took a minute to come across a great deal, or so we believe we got a good deal on it. Either way, it’s ours and here it is!

For those not familiar with this particular helmet, the cut-out in the back of the helmet is to hang from a hook on the soldier’s belt.

I hope you enjoy and would much appreciate any comments and info anyone may have on this particular model helmet.
    Regards,

Russ & Son

P.S. We have a Peruvian M-1 on the way, should be here next week 

?

Default Re: Our New Addition - Dutch M-34

A nice helmet in excellent condition

?

These are a great additon to any helmet collection and you've scored one in really nice condition.

The huge lion shields on these are always so impressive! Nice pick up!

I have to wonder just how often the soldiers actually Hung these big helmets onto their belts-it must have been a Beast to have one banging on your hip as you walked!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

G'day Russ
    I'm jealous, it's great, Here's a liner leather variation on my crappy one

Our New Addition - Dutch M-34Hello Russ,

Nice M34! This helmet might be marked with a stamp (black or red) in the leather ring, under one of the flaps. It reads CM 1938 or so. In the metal right under the oblong slit there could be a capital letter and the last two digits of the year of manufacture. Just like in René's helmet; 39P .

The liner variant in René's helmet is a post war modification for the Civil Defense . These helmets were spray painted in a greyish colour.

By the way these helmets were not often worn on the waist belt, more often on the long chinstrap around the neck. Also rather uncomforable. The cavalry used a contraption on the sabre to carry the helmet. Always nice to see a M34.

Emile

Very fortunate! I have a real fascination with Dutch helmets, and although they are not hugely uncommon any good examples - like yours - tend to have high price-tags, and seem to be actually getting *more* expensive as time goes by. Getting a complete run of the Dutch pre-and-WW2 era helmets would be a very expensive proposition. In my dreams.

I do strongly recommend Kevin de Joode's book if you have more than a passing interest - THE DUTCH STEEL HELMET, 1916-1946. (one on ebay UK at the moment, see also elswhere including publisher De Bataafsche Leeuw - Uitgeverij Van Soeren & Co )

Often one would find one withe the lion shield removed, as ordered in 1940. The shield was a to big target on the front of the helmets, especialy when polished.

Thanks guys for the kinds words and input

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    This helmet might be marked with a stamp (black or red) in the leather ring, under one of the flaps. It reads CM 1938 or so.
    Emile, here is a photo of the red stamp you speak of. Looks like the date is 1938 (could be 39 though). Can you help us with the meaning of the CM by chance?

Also, a name is written inside but but I can't quite make it out. I have no idea if this is period or not, it's in pencil so I would say no but then again, the helmet liner is very minty looking so maybe this lid was put away for safe keeping all these years.

Regards,

Russ

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post

I do strongly recommend Kevin de Joode's book if you have more than a passing interest - THE DUTCH STEEL HELMET, 1916-1946. (one on ebay UK at the moment, see also elswhere including publisher De Bataafsche Leeuw - Uitgeverij Van Soeren & Co )
    Thanks for the book recomendation Greg, I will look into it, not that we collect Dutch helmets per se, but we seem to have managed to out a couple on the shelf over the past 3 years. I think we did OK on the price, picked it up for $100 USD out the door, haven't seen one in this condition for near that price, but maybe I have not been looking in the right place either.

Here is our favorite Dutch helmet that we picked of for $20 at a swap meet, a Dutch KNIL. The special part about this helmet is that it would have been the same type of helmet that my Grandfather war when he served with the Dutch Royal Army.

Regards,

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast