Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world

Article about: I know a few of us discussed this some time ago and as Airborne helmets are one of my favorite sub catagories to collect and I have not seen another thread dedicated to the subject . So I th

?

Quote by Mark K View Post
    I did find a few supportive images though that would suggest that the Orolite 201 was indeed used though.
    The 201 was definitely used by para units, my example came direct from a para who had just finished training. I don't believe the M1 was ever used by Israeli paras, I'll try and justify that statement when I get a chance to collate some images.

Steve.

?

Thanks Steve any information you can find and add to the thread would be most welcome.

Regards Mark

Polish WZ-63 Airborne Helmet

Hi Mark ,can i just say i'm blown away by the examples shown so far by your good self and the other forum members and i'm glad you took the initiative to start this well overdue thread i myself have a contribution to this superb thread albeit in a small way, firstly my US nam period M1c ,my french f1 pairing ,operation daquet and salade covers these two are different liner wise ,one has the crucible crown pad and the other the circular crown pad ,this was the earlier 1st model liner of the two ,my belgian m71 with puzzle cover ,my west german m1 a1 LL ,i'm also sneaking in my west german GSG9 helm ,i know not exactly para issue my Polish M63 and my favourite has to be this early lightweight British parachutist helmet ,the light tan tan brow pad is a good indication of an earlier issue Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world
    Last edited by James C; 03-17-2024 at 03:13 PM.

?

Many thanks for your contributions to the thread James and you have some fine examples in your collection .
    I will try and post up a couple more over the next day or two as time permits and yes I agree this type of thread is long overdue I just can't believe there are so few of us here that have para/airborne helmets in there collections

Regards Mark

Airborne helmets eh. Well, I usually keep well away from such things as I have a fear of heights. No no, seriously, I do have a fear of heights. Also I keep well away from collecting AT helmets because they're usually so damned *expensive*. But that hasn't entirely stopped me - so here's a brief diversion into the Belgian section.

First there's the basic Belgian M71, essentially a bought-in West German M1A1LL, and to all intents and purposes identical save for the Belgian decal...and one other thing. As originally supplied these helmets had an extra little strap forming a chincup which is not present on the standard M1A1LL. You can see it in the third picture here. You will not, however, see it on all Belgian M71, as it was often lost or deliberately removed. Or a plastic chincup as seen for example on the French F1 series was used instead - not as issue but on individual initiative.

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world

Then, some time in the mid 1980s by all accounts (details are hazy here) the Belgians bought in an unusual hybrid helmet, which had the M1A1LL shell and the liner of the French F1 series 2. At this point no-one actually knows why where or whence they came, and that 'no-one' includes a man who is writing a book on Belgian helmets!

As you will see in the photos there are a surprising number of fixing-heads visible on the shell, ten in all. That's four for the original German bolts, and six more for the fixtures for the french liner. The four for the German bolts are actually rubber blind plugs, holding nothing at all on the inside. The six for the French liner are metal and are actually male popstuds as on the F1-ser2, and the liner is easily detachable (see picture). What even more amazing is that this unusual rigup has a completely new chinstrap buckle, a sort of friction buckle (see pic) which is actually, unbelieveably, Swedish. It has on it 'Fixlock 620' and 'Fixfabriken - Made in Sweden'.

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world

And that's not all. As part of the general repair and refurbishment programme - these helmets had a long life in Belgian service and saw a fair bit of sharp end action too - there are also Belgian-made replacement chinstrap rigs, which are distinctly different - thicker cut, different green.

And by way of something more normal, here's a simple Belgian-made copy of the British HSAT Mk2, in form identical to the original, though I have no doubt para-collectors would be able to point out a fistful of differences. One I think I see, though I may be wrong, is that the Belgian helmets always use white thread on the chinstrap construction where the UK-made products use green/khaki/brown (call it as you like) coloured thread. Am I right? I dunno.

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world

Superb information Greg ,my Belgian m71 would be the french liner hybrid and can confirm the buckle is Swedish in originParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world
    Last edited by James C; 03-17-2024 at 03:14 PM.

Default French M56 TAP paratrooper helmet

here's my French M56 paras helmet with the three point chin strap, shell is dated 1961 mfg by Carpentier, the liner is dated 1953, this helmet set is Algerian War era.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world   Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world   Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world   Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Last edited by battle gear; 07-14-2015 at 02:32 AM.

?

Many thanks for posting your example BG another one on my wants list here is a rather interesting image from May 9, 2014
    Exercise Orzel About 100 Canadian and American paratroopers joined their Polish counterparts for training exercises over a military training area in the Błędowska Desert in Poland.
    For 5 days paratroopers from the Canadian 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry and the American 173rd Airborne Brigade trained together with troops from the Polish 6th Airborne Brigade.
    This image to me is duly interesting as not only does it show the Canadian CG-634 combat helmet that doubles as a para helmet take note that the Polish paratrooper on the far right side is still using the WZ-63 as are a few of his comrades in the background
    I would have thought 2014 would be rather late to see this particular helm still in use .

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world   Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Mark, I think i can see a few more Wz63 helmets in the background? the Polish airborne must still have these in their inventory

I heard the French also still use the F1 / M78 during training jumps.

?

Thanks BG I noticed it after I put my glasses on

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast