Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Peruvian M1 ?

Article about: Thanks for your comments, Opex. I imagine Peru doesn't have great wealth to splash around on military equipment and is obliged to 'make do and mend' (eg like Israel in the 60s). Other countr

JBR
    ?

Default Re: Peruvian M1 ?

Thanks for your comments, Opex. I imagine Peru doesn't have great wealth to splash around on military equipment and is obliged to 'make do and mend' (eg like Israel in the 60s). Other countries are doubtless in the same position, re-cycling as much as possible. Such countries would probably have relatively cheap labour on hand, too, making refurbishment an economical alternative to fresh procurement. This would also mean they dispose of surplus stuff less frequently - making these Peruvian M1s, perhaps, a relatively rare exception. Possibly they've re-equiped with second hand PASGTs? By the way, I'm just a little concerned the only evidence for these helmets being Peruvian (that I've seen) is the brendonshelmets website (although there the helmet is associated with a distinctive cover more easily attributed due to the camo pattern used). I'm not disputing the attribution by such a reputable collector but would like to find some more evidence if possible - especially photographic. It's all too easy to go along with hunches that become assumptions and I'm trying to be disciplined!

?

You have made a very good point there JBR, and your quite right,apart from Brendon's sources, and the excellent input from everyone in this post,but there is a tenuous link to the true origins of these helmets.

I can only assume,that 99.9% of the examples shown on Brendons site are very true examples!, and hopefully the Peruvian is one of these.

But I completely agree with you, there is nothing worse than having a piece with a dubious provenance, I have quite a few myself, and it really bugs me, that I cannot find any concrete proof of a piece's true identity.

For the meantime, I am happy to consider mine Peruvian, as prior to this I had absolutely no idea what it was, this is great research on all our part's and hopefully, there will be more examples for other's to share, and together we can find some comparable attributes for these M1 helmets

JBR
    ?

One small extra point: a quick search of Google images reveals some pictures of Peruvian troops using Israeli 60s/70s type load carry webbing equipment - belts etc. Best regards,

JBR
    ?

There's a group of helmets on eBay, listed by a Peruvian seller. Worth a look. Most of the shells seem to be of Israeli manufacture. The liners, however, seem similar to euro-clone M1 liners.

PERUVIAN COMMANDER GENERAL LOT 3 HELMETS AND 1 HELMET M1 1968 | eBay

Best Regards,

Glad I found this thread, have one that is supposedly Peruvian on the way, we'll see when we get it in our hot little hands. For now, just looking for info on how to make a positive ID. Thread and photos will be posted upon arrival!

Regards,

Russ & Son

?

Look forward to seeing your example,it would be good to see if yours has features as the examples previously shown.

Our what does appear to be a Peruvian M-1 has arrived. It's got a couple peculiarities about it and it is "WELL WORN". I hope to get some photos snapped of it later today and will past a new thread here in this forum.

Respects,

Russ & Son

?

Hi Russ & Son, I look forward to seeing your example, especially the peculiarities relating to it!!

JBR
    ?

?

Quote by Opex View Post
    Hi Fellow collectors.

I was having a look at Brendons helmet website today, and came across an example of a Peruvian M1.
    I have an M1 in my collection that seems to have some very similar features,specifically the liner cradle design.
    I would like your opinions on mine, there is only one chinstrap attached , and the shell is front seam , swivel bale, so a former US shell, feel free to comment.

Attachment 488994
    Attachment 488992
    Attachment 488995
    Attachment 488993
    thought this one looked familiar ??

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1...-of-tlc-19338/

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1...oration-19476/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast