Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

please help indentify what war this is from?

Article about: I purchased this helmet as a christmas present off of ebay it was titled as a WWII front seam helmet but the seam for the metal rim band is in the back of the helmet and I don't the the chin

jason592
    ?

Default please help indentify what war this is from?

I purchased this helmet as a christmas present off of ebay it was titled as a WWII front seam helmet but the seam for the metal rim band is in the back of the helmet and I don't the the chin strap clips are period correct, I was previously told that all helmets worn in the past had that metal seam in the front. Supposedly this helmet was worn by a soldier during the second wave of troops on the island of Okinawa. Could some one help me I.D. this helmet before i give it to my future father in law. Or do I need to send it back and call this guy out for selling faulty goods.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture please help indentify what war this is from?   please help indentify what war this is from?  

please help indentify what war this is from?  

dharjinni
    ?

Default Re: please help indentify what war this is from?

I don't think you got ripped off. I too have a helmet nearly identical to yours. I do have the liner and chin strap, but for the life of me I can't figure out how the strap goes on properly!

dharjinni
    ?

Unfortunately, I know about this helmet as you do. I spent hours searching online, but could only find ones with the two metal loops on the sides with none at the back. If you find anything out, please email me at dharjinni@gmail.com. If I find anything, I'll be sure to repost.

This is a post war Israeli modified M1 or Israeli produced M1 clone. I don't know what you paid for it, but it should be way less than a WW2 US M1! This helmet certainly never saw the shores of Okininawa.

The three bales are for the installation of a British type Para strap.

These helmets were used in the seventies, before being phased out by the Kevlar types.

Cheers,
    Emile

pjm
    ?

I found one of these on line complete with liner and straps for US $25. The side insignia might hold some significance for an Isreali collector and add to the value.

these are nice varients for any M1 helmet collector, these were used during the Arab / Israeli wars

the markings look original, very hard to find them with original markings like that! I would of kept this and added the liner & para straps

the straps are easy to find, the British style para straps will work

This Helmet is An M1 Helmet post WWII used by Israel or some other country. It does not accept the US model chinstraps. This one uses a three prong strap that straps around the neck as well. I call them neck breakers. US M1 Helmets have seams in front till 1943 after which the seams are in back and have 4 weld marks near the split. 2- on each side. The bails for the chinstraps went from "D" shaped to rectangular and by 1943 they were swivel bails.

Bob