Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ques Collection -- French helmets? ( post 1)

Article about: Hello everybody, I have 5 French looking helmets I need help Identifying. I'm going to post them one after the other with the same title and a post number (like this one is Post 1). So, firs

Que
    ?

Harry the Mole,
    No, There are no corrugated tins between the liner an the Helmet.

Hello,

This is a M15 Infanterie Adrian.
    Not sure about the painting but with a big doubt
    Concerning the liner, the strips of corrugated aluminium were not mandatory. They were there to adapt the size of the liner to the size of the helmet depending of the size and form of the soldiers head. You may then have 4, 2 or zero.

I believe the chinstrap to be original but i think it was dismounted and replaced afterward

All the best

Bruno

With regards to the corrugated strips, this is news to me. Removal of these strips would make little difference to the size of the helmet. The strips were fitted BEHIND the lugs which held the liner in place. The actual shell came in different sizes, some of which were extremely small.

Hello Harry,

The corrugated strips came in two sizes (big/small) to better adjust to inter size.

Bruno

My apologies Bruno. Would I be correct in assuming that English is your second language? I am aware that there were three sizes of strip which were used. I thought you meant something else.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Hello Steve,

yes, this is a correct assumption.
    I therefore hope my comments are still readable or understandable. If not or unclear please let me know by sending me a message so I can modify and improve.

Concerning the strips (I must recongnise I just copy/past the words) I would understand the 3 sizes as beeing Big, small or none.

We can see the big corrugation (?) on the side of the helmets I presentetd while those in front and rear are smaller. The 3d possibility would be to get none. I never cam across other size or type. Did you?

Please do not hesitate to reformulate with more appropriate words if needed as these a quite technical and not really common for me.

Hope this would help

Bruno

Hu Bruno,

I have only ever seen the 'normal' size strip and the larger size. I have reduced my collection of Adrian helmets, and I only have the one example now. It is a first pattern, Artillery badged example with the larger corrugated strips to the sides. The back and front strips are missing due to the retaining strips at some point having broken off.

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi Steve

Sometime it is better to get one nice than many not that nice.

Getting no strip at the front and back is not a issue

Please see below. This is an early model that never got any in front and back.

Your should be ok. Maybe can you post a photo?

Best regards

Bruno

?

This link gives as detailed explanation of the corrugated strip placement, in short they were planned for the 9 liner sizes to fit in the 3 helmet sizes. There is a table showing what size and how many for each option, it all sounds very complicated, and I'm sure the average 'poilu' didn't fully appreciate the significance of the millimeters of corrugation.

.: World War Helmets - Casque Adrian modèle 15 :.
    Steve.

Hello Steve and Steve,

Thats right, there are more size than I thought for the strips.
    3 sizes for the front and back: 3mm, 1,5mm or none
    3 for the side: 5mm, 3,5mm or 2mm

We always have to learn something

Thanks for this

Bruno

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast