Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Requiring information about a DDR helmet

Article about: hi all, i recieved this helmet yesterday and was wondering if this was the original colour, it seems to have been painted over and the inside does not match the outside. also, if this is not

Default Requiring information about a DDR helmet

hi all, i recieved this helmet yesterday and was wondering if this was the original colour, it seems to have been painted over and the inside does not match the outside.
    also, if this is not the right colour, does anyone know what colour it is ment to be painted?
    thanks in advance,

Requiring information about a DDR helmetRequiring information about a DDR helmet

Default Re: Requiring information about a DDR helmet

That's been over painted, the original colour should be what's on the inner shell!...

nice looking east german stahlhelm m56 earlier models are usually dark green ,later models grey ,due to the lack of external rivits its the second model ,the exterior repaint seems to cover a lot of wear and tear ,i would be inclined to just leave it be with the strichtarn cover (raindrop pattern ) and correct netting which you have present covering it ,kind regards james
    Regards James

Thanks for your advice, inside it does seem to be a dirty green colour, I was just wondeting if it had been painted a lighter grey to show a paticular rank/group. But now i think it was just a repair job using the wrong paint.

i suppose if you wanted you could always carefully strip back this extra top coat , personally i like them cammo covered as you have shown ,its up to you i quess ,regards james
    Regards James

well i am planning on using it in airsoft re-enactment and id like the option to wear it without the cover but only with the right colour, (i dont think the grenztruppen wore the cover anyway) so i might strip it back completly and repaint it.

the Volksmarine might have used your helmet? the light grey paint is common for naval use, maybe they repainted it to prevent rust? Ive seen photos of them with repainted grey helmets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Requiring information about a DDR helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Requiring information about a DDR helmet 

possibly, the 2nd pic paint is very simplar to mine, iv also found a small section on the rim where the paint has chipped off, it was originaly a greeny grey, then a lighter grey and currently very light grey

REQUEST: East German weapons and uniforms

here are some interesting photos of the DDR National Volks Armee / NVA

shows a group with light grey painted helmets

i wonder why