Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Russian M60 helmet

Article about: Hey Guys - I'm thinking about getting my very first Russian helmet for my cold war collection - looks like an M60 type, with some-kind-of camo (?) paint - could this be 1980s Afghanistan war

Looks a nice example ,the exterior paint scheme certainly looks the part with wear indicative with issued use but the interior /liner and chinstrap tell a different story ,i wonder if it was swapped out with a newer set ,Be great to see better in hand pictures Fabe

I'm quite fond of the 68 model and have a least one afghanistan bringback the second darker green example I'm still not yet certain but back to the afghan bringback the liner shows a lot of wear and tear that is for sureRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmet

?

THX James, so you say that the green-black-reddish camo might be original?
    I don't have it yet, the bidding will end this weekend, hopefully will win it...

Fabe the paint scheme certainly looks the part and your theory on an Afghan bring back could ring true ,You might get some feedback if you put in on the dedicated soviet helmet sub forum here too and then you can decide before auction ends if there is time ,is the seller local to you ? here is a link to WAF forum on a similar paint scheme Soviet Helmet used by the Afghanis - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

?

Quote by James C View Post
    Fabe the paint scheme certainly looks the part and your theory on an Afghan bring back could ring true ,You might get some feedback if you put in on the dedicated soviet helmet sub forum here too and then you can decide before auction ends if there is time ,is the seller local to you ? here is a link to WAF forum on a similar paint scheme Soviet Helmet used by the Afghanis - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Thanks for the link - I'll post the pics here from the link:
    Russian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmet

Yeah, the camo from my first post might be good - looks fairly unused, maybe it was used for a short time by someone who didn't see any action...
    The bidding will end on Monday eve, I'll update if I win it...

Your welcome Fabe ,The helmet shown on WAF has a fairly intact chinstrap and liner too except for a little more wear than the one you posted but who knows what yours will look like in hand ,possibly the same .
    Good luck with the auction

?

well, there wasn't much of a bidding-war...I just won it for 12 EU.

I'll make some proper pics, soon as I receive it.

Cheers,
    Fabe

?

Update - the helmet arrived today, so I took some pics...
    Overall, the helmet (Ssh68) looks great, some very light wear can be seen outside & inside as well.
    See the pics of the ink-stamp markings, med. size, date is either 1980 or 1990 - can anybody confirm the date based on the serial number maybe?
    "2-35088"
    Did they make these in 1990 and beyond? (the CCCP regime changed in 1991)

If the date is 1980 - then the camo could be "Afghanistan war camo" - IF it's 1990, then maybe this saw some action in the Russian war in Chechnya (1994).

Russian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmet

?

"Afghanistan war camo" helmet here:

Russian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmet

Well your gamble payed off i love that helmet it looks superb and glad it shows some wear internally now you have in hand ,your pictures do the helmet a lot of justice ,so from your detailed pictures i can confirm you have a size 2 shell from the ZKO factory and i would say dated 1990 with some smudging around the number giving it an 8 appearance ,well done Fabe ,let us know if you ever sell oni will show a picture of my 1990 stamp and you can decide if it compares well
    regards James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast