Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

A small find but with character... Late WWII M26 Adrian helmet.

Article about: This thing popped up and maybe I was looking for one? Have always wanted one actually, but never went out of my way to get one. Never in a collection, (hardly surprising...) beat up and dent

Default A small find but with character... Late WWII M26 Adrian helmet.

This thing popped up and maybe I was looking for one? Have always wanted one actually, but never went out of my way to get one. Never in a collection, (hardly surprising...) beat up and dented in quite few places, a couple largish dents in the rear, rim is a little wobbly in a bunch of places, surprisingly light compared to a Stalhelm, no chin strap but liner intact. Enough musty smell emanating from it to make a whole trunk full of just about anything smell just like WWII militaria...

For some reason, this is the ideal Adrian helmet for me, I love the color, the patina, the smaller RF flaming bomb insignia, they all scream Casque Francais! It just in the right years for me (I like the cleaner look of the M26 better than the M15 (which I have been researching for days now "the first modern combat hemet, and what a history they have!). Under the rim, scratched in the paint at the rear, you can read what looks like a crude August of 1945 date.

Odd thing is, and maybe I just don't know enough about these, but the smaller flaming bomb (not in a round disc) is the WWI Infanterie emblem? Or not, maybe it was used in WWII as well, it has a very authentic looking OD greenish paint mixed with rust patina around the edges, no hint of any sort of blue underneath, so probably not a painted over WWI emblem.

Really just a cool addition to the collection ;-)

Nice pick up. I recently got my first Adrian after almost buying one many times over the years.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default French M26

I think the badge could be a modern repro thats been painted and aged , the originals had a different look with more of an old world craftmanship with better detail.

this black painted copy is from IMA

yes, the older style badges were also used on the M26 shells
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A small find but with character... Late WWII M26 Adrian helmet.  
    Attached Images Attached Images A small find but with character... Late WWII M26 Adrian helmet.  A small find but with character... Late WWII M26 Adrian helmet. 

Seriously doubt it's a fake emblem. I wasn't going to mention it, but the emblem was broken off over the years, so I had to do a slight bit of restoration to the helmet, reattaching the emblem to the attachment prongs that were originally soldered on. Here's a pic of the backside of the emblem, pre repair.

?

I like that too, I think there were different manufacturers of badges and all had variations but it's nice to find a M26 with the old badge, think the round ones were used from 1937 but don't quote me on that.

Replacement, original straps were on French ebay the other day, might be worth taking a look if you fancy completing it.

Tony

I'd get a strap for it, but only if it is vintage and the condition matches the helmet, otherwise it doesn't bother me. I don't like them over the brim of the helmet personally.

besides the cleaner look of the M26, it's actually a better designed improvement over the older model M1915, the one piece stamped shells of the M26 are stronger and made of better steel.

the old French Mle 15 shells are probably the most fragile, thinnest steel combat helmets made, when I handle the Mle 15 I can tell it wouldnt have much protection , it's too light & flimsy especially because it had the three piece design, but it looks good on parade.

I bet a soldier wearing the old hob nailed combat boots could crush a Mle 15 easily by stomping on it, other WW1 steel helmets were much stronger.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    besides the cleaner look of the M26, it's actually a better designed improvement over the older model M1915, the one piece stamped shells of the M26 are stronger and made of better steel.

the old French Mle 15 shells are probably the most fragile, thinnest steel combat helmets made, when I handle the Mle 15 I can tell it wouldnt have much protection , it's too light & flimsy especially because it had the three piece design, but it looks good on parade.

I bet a soldier wearing the old hob nailed combat boots could crush a Mle 15 easily by stomping on it, other WW1 steel helmets were much stronger.
    Probably all true though the others would have had the chance to study the M15 and improve on it, though perhaps a surprise the French did not improve the design as the war went on as both the British and the Germans inproved their helmets as time went by.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.