Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" Helmet

Article about: In spite of trying to reduce the size of my collection, I purchased this M65 on eBay just recently. It's missing the headband (I've substituted a 1980s US version) and the liner chinstrap. I

JBR
    ?

Default Spanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calimero" Helmet

In spite of trying to reduce the size of my collection, I purchased this M65 on eBay just recently. It's missing the headband (I've substituted a 1980s US version) and the liner chinstrap. It also has a disintegrating plastic liner shell, much like the one in my PM (military police) version posted here a while ago. Apart from that, it's in unissued condition!

Spanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" HelmetSpanish M65 OTAN F1 "Calmero" Helmet

Spanish M1 types are not the easiest to find in the UK (I wonder if they are common in Spain?) and I was pleased to find this, albeit incomplete example, for just under £25 incl P&P. It was a UK private seller - are these turning up now in surplus shops?

Here's a link to our usual superb Spanish source: ESPAÑOL 65

According to this, my acquisition is a Type D.

I was struck by the form of the steel shell, which is fuller in the body than a US M1, or of the European copies I've seen. In fact, it is not unlike that of the Soviet Ssh40 and 60 types, except with a US style rim profile.

Regarding the disintegrating liner shell, I wonder if the Spanish used a plastic inferior to that of, say, Belgian or Dutch types. Or is it that they were stored somewhere with widely varying temperatures - hot in summer, cold in winter. Even in the UK, people who have stored plastic items in roof spaces for decades will be familiar with the distortions and brittleness that result.

Hope the photos are of some interest, anyway.
    Last edited by JBR; 04-27-2015 at 03:49 PM.

?

Hi, great addition to your collection, and I agree Spanish M1's are difficult to source in the UK, many thanks for showing this model...another fascinating piece from your collection

Spanish M1's are also very uncommon in the US, Ive never seen one for sale here, Ive seen plenty of Spanish M42 or M42/79, but never any Spanish M1 style helmets?

I wish they release some of their surplus helmets someday

JBR
    ?

Well, I wonder if they are keeping them in reserve, still, and only releasing grade 2 examples - bits missing, disintegrating plastic etc? On the other hand, a few good ones do turn up very occasionally.....