Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish Model 21 Helmet Authentic?

Article about: Just wanted some input on whether anyone thinks this helmet is real or fake. Thanks

?

Default Spanish Model 21 Helmet Authentic?

Just wanted some input on whether anyone thinks this helmet is real or fake.
    Thanks

Spanish Model 21 Helmet Authentic?Spanish Model 21 Helmet Authentic?Spanish Model 21 Helmet Authentic?Spanish Model 21 Helmet Authentic?Spanish Model 21 Helmet Authentic?

Default Re: Spanish Model 21 Helmet Authentic?

I believe this to be a reproduction (or 'fake' if you like!). Unbelieveably (to me anyway) there actually *are* fakes of the M21 sin ala about and I have seen them on eBay. I suppose they are catering in some sense to SCW reenactors or the like. Take a look at this page on The Great Joseba's website - Casco - and them compare it to the pics of real M21 he has on the associated pages. The most obvious betraying details are the big round flathead liner retainers, and the lack of a vent-grommet on the side above the chinstrap.

I've seen at least one of these where the liner looks quite genuine, so don't go by that. That is not a real shell. The shell isn't really accurate either, having that snub-nosed look of the modern MICH rather than the small peak of the original.

Greg Pickersgill

is it possible this is a cut down modello z helmet the leather liner looks identical

Highly unlikely, I'd say. As a repro it would be easier to make from fresh. And it is observably true that this is not a one-off, so someone's got a little pressing-plant going. The liners do indeed look a bit aged, but that's easy to fake, though it is not impossible (just crazy) that they are from the original first-series Modelo Z. Bear in mind that a very similar liner was in the Modelo Z, the real M21, and its younger sibling the M26. Would be easy for a leather-crafter to knock these up and give them a bit of ageing.

I am very much of the opinion that these M21 repros/fakes are entirely new with no old or modified parts. What is more baffling is *why* - they're not even so accurate as to actually fool a helmet collector or satisfy reenactor authenticity. I can't see where the money is.

Greg Pickersgill

greg have you ever heard of the modelo z being faked

Crikey, no! Very large numbers of those were put out as surplus (scrap, really) around 2000 or just before and I would guess that there must be a lot floating around still, even though they no longer show up on eBay with the frequency they once did (usually touted as 'German' or that 'made on German machinery ' bollocks). I simply cannot imagine why anyone would feel the need to fake the Modelo Z - or M 42 or M42-79, or whatever you wish you designate it. If anything the M-Z is used as a basis for (very poor) fakes of Third Reich helmets, and utterly wasted as a result. Why can't people just see that it is an interesting helmet in its own right?

Greg P