Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stahlhelm in East Indies

Article about: Hello i'm timur from indonesia, in the past 3 months i manage to bought this 2 stahlhelm from the antique dealers in here. The green stahlhelm was from my hometown of Solo and the orange-red

Default Re: Stahlhelm in East Indies

hello Feldgrau,

Thanks for these measurements!

We believe this KNIL helmet of yours, is indeed a Braat made helmet. Do you see a slightly dotted line in the steel on top of the rolled edge? That is what most Braat helmets have. It is quite possible that this helmet is marked with the figure 1 inside on the rear .

Cheers,
    Emile

If you don't mind sir, can you point the differences between braat and verblifa helmet? You can use my helmet picture below.
    And unfortunately the number 1 is long gone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm in East Indies  

Braat helmet is larger. Somewhat in shaped like an oval. No lion plate. Mostly green or brown neck flap. Has a chinstrap with a drop jaw buckle and UNITED CARR rivets.

VB helmets have the lion plate and are somewhat broader. There three VB models: low model, size 1 and low model size 2. High model size 1. Mostly a black neckflap. Have a chinstrap with a sliding buckle.

The Milsco helmets sports no lion plate either. Has a black/gray neckflap.

In my collection I have a helmet (somewhat in between Braat and VB) that has not been determined yet.

Can you show me the liner?

Cheers,
    Emile

Thank you for the information again sir.
    I'm sorry sir, but there's no liner left in this helmet. Although all the rivet still exist, and you can see there's some the remains of the liner cotton on the rivet. Oh and the first picture is the helmet before i restored it with oxalic acid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm in East Indies   Stahlhelm in East Indies  

Stahlhelm in East Indies   Stahlhelm in East Indies  

Stahlhelm in East Indies  

Hi Feldgrau,

These rivets are unusual for a Braat helmet. You find them on Milsco's and VB's. The Braat factory used hollow rivets made by United Carr. Possibly the TNI relinered this helmet using rivets that were available to them at the time.

Is that a piece of cloth or leather behind the rivet? Dutch and Milsco liners used a leather ring, not cloth.

Interesting helmet!

If you want good pictures of several KNIL helmets have a look at this excellent site: Welkom bij Dutchhelmets.nl | Welcome to Dutchhelmets.nl

Cheers,
    Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 11-08-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Ah thank you sir.
    Yes sir that's a cloth, about liner i have a japanese m30/32 model but with different kind of liner. This liner is way much different than the usual japanese liner, i guess the TNI relined it. I can post the image if you want to.

I would love to see that liner!

Du you have any information about a helmet worn by the TNI that is very likely a local product?

I enclose a photo. The helmet worn by the klewang carrying officer is a KNIL hemet. I mean the helmets worn by the troops.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Attached Images Attached Images Stahlhelm in East Indies 

Here you go sir.
    You can see on the left side of the helmet there's a writing "TNI AD".
    I once saw a navy version of m30/32 complete with the anchor badge although without liner. but the seller already sold it because of misunderstanding.
    I also wondering too sir. I once saw that photo too. And appareantly that unit is the special police unit (today is brimob-brigade mobil). Is that a cloth made helmet? I guess there's some differences between army and police equipment during japanese occupation?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm in East Indies   Stahlhelm in East Indies  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2