Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Swiss M18/40,46 dc

Article about: Hi all Here's my newest haul a pair of Swiss M18/40,46 dc first up......the M18/40 is a fire service example marked F and painted smooth black with a badge riveted to the front..(region coat

Default Swiss M18/40,46 dc

Hi all
    Here's my newest haul a pair of Swiss M18/40,46 dc

first up......the M18/40 is a fire service example marked "F" and painted smooth black with a badge riveted to the front..(region coat of arms) any ideas on the correct region for this one!!????
    it has the later 3/4 liner band and has the issued owners paper name tag date seems to be 1968 and has makers mark as well

Now the other one the other is most unusual!!! ..... in that it is made of an alloy called duralumin its a non corrosive alloy made with aluminium, silica and magnesium and designated M18/46 dc,
    it weighs only 650 grams and was used in the Swiss civil defence.... unfortunately no stamps or dates anywhere on this one, but they were first made in 1946 and this one really has a nice aged look about it so I would say its an earlier one (later ones seem to be painted red, yellow, black etc!!!)

also my Swiss M18 reversible camo cover now has a home on the 46 dc!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swiss M18/40,46 dc   Swiss M18/40,46 dc  

Swiss M18/40,46 dc   Swiss M18/40,46 dc  

Cool lids, we should buy 'em while they're still pretty cheap!....

The 1946 model isn't especially unusual - but on the other hand I have *never* seen one in what one might assume to be pre-WW2 army green before. That's definately different. Much more common in the yellow finish, really.

Interesting that you should post this as I have just been struggling to properly understand - with the help of a number of websites and a clatter of examples - the real differences between the 18, the 18/40 and the 18/63. I am still struggling (its one of those things that doesn't properly fix in my head) but I do believe I have noticed something few seem to mention, and that is that the 18 and 40 both sit flat on a horizontal surface, whereas the 63 has a distinct back-and-forth rock, with its tail slightly in the air when at rest. I realise this is usually remarked upon in the sense of the line of the shell being 'different' but this is such an obvious recognition factor I'm surprised I have not seen it mentioned before. But then again, who am I to say, I don't even know what Corlon is.

?

Nice helmets
    Quote by austromunga View Post
    Hi all
    first up......the M18/40 is a fire service example marked "F" and painted smooth black with a badge riveted to the front..(region coat of arms) any ideas on the correct region for this one!!????
    It became a bit of a 'man versus internet' but I finally got to the municipality of Niedergösgen in the Canton of Solothurn. You don't want to embark on trying to get one of each of those!
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...derg%C3%B6sgen

Steve

Thanks guys!! and special thanks to Steve (Tinhat) your right!!!! just exactly how many of these you would have to find to make a set!!!! with the Municipality and the canton variations!!
    and Greg ... nice spot on the easy definition of the 63 ... both mine are M18, 40 style so are both sit flush on a flat surface... the outer coloration of the 46 dc is actually natural duralumin (no signs of any paint!! not even in the crevices!!!) with staining and age so it looks a little green in some light conditions (flash) the buckle on the chinstrap has green paint on it though..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swiss M18/40,46 dc  

Hi all

I have now added a few more Swiss M18/40 to the collection... and some more different variations of helmet cover too!!!

The first would seem to be an M18 model (it has a continuous band.. not split as in later models) it has been repainted in 43 with grey magma effect outer paint, black inner (unfortunately it's missing its leather padding) and therefore no date stamp / reg Number that I can find!!
    second is the more common of the M46 dc model in the yellow outer paint civil defence grey inner again no dates for this one...
    Next the three helmet covers
    First is nicely faded/worn with lots of caracterfull repairs!! I love it!!!
    the second is slightly less faded but still with plenty repairs... and lastly one in very good order with a darker materiel used for the "cap" (looks like early IR camo!!)
    they are all the none reversible type!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swiss M18/40,46 dc   Swiss M18/40,46 dc  

im really liking the differances between the covers i wonder if these were also aside from the drawstring type made with the sprung hooks as found on the alpenflage covers

Hi james
    Funny you should mention that!!! as look what arrived in the post this morning!!
    a cover with the five metal hooks and a drawstring and in unissued condition too!!!!
    Here's a pic of all my M18/40 covers together ... and the two reversible ones with the autumn pattern showing (with and without metal hooks!! 5 hooks means it was for an M18 type... as four hooks were for fitment to the other types M71 etc)

Swiss M18/40,46 dc  

that makes sense paul as once i did try reversing the covers ,the m71 took the drawstring type ok and ive seen referance pictures in use ,a little while back i picked up a red cross zuckerman and the seller thought it was a swiss helmet ,i can see why he thought that Swiss M18/40,46 dcSwiss M18/40,46 dc

Both look pretty good swapped over James!!!... there is an early alpenflage specifically for the M18/40 shape... that's on my list!! quite rare though I believe!!
    also like the old church/abbey ruin in the background of the "Zuckerman" pic!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast