Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Turkish M1 and M56/76

Article about: Hi all Two new additions gathered at a local militaria fair..... its a Turkish M1 and an M56/76 !!! I picked up the M1 first as I've been on the lookout for any Austrian made shells ... this

Default Turkish M1 and M56/76

Hi all
    Two new additions gathered at a local militaria fair..... its a Turkish M1 and an M56/76 !!!
    I picked up the M1 first as I've been on the lookout for any Austrian made shells ... this one seemed to fit the bill!! so I asked for the price ... "ill do you a deal for both the M1 type and the M56!!" well after a little haggling i took both!!!!!! the M1 is marked on the underside of the front rim lot (02/91 U,s) so it will fit into my Austrian collection nicely!!!
    the liner is locally produced.. made by Donatim Istanbul... and as an added extra when taking these pics some extra webbing fell out from under the crown!!!!... looks to be a "A" frame Paracutist type liner chinstrap!!???
    The helmets have both been repainted (brushed) and the decals on both helmets look fresh... in the case of the left side decals... look a little like they are printed on paper with an inkjet printer !!! added later do you think!!?????
    The M56 is an ex East German issue... bought by the Turkish army after reunification to replace their aging M1 helmet stocks (apparently a very unpopular choice with the troops as they much preferred the old M1 type!!) with stamp II 54 65 it also came with the woodland cover!! correct???
    any thoughts invited please gents!!???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Turkish M1 and M56/76   Turkish M1 and M56/76  

Turkish M1 and M56/76   Turkish M1 and M56/76  

Turkish M1 and M56/76  

Very interesting indeed that you have a genuine Turkish-made liner for that M1. I am actually rather envious - never seen one, and being a Euroclone enthusiast its welcome information.

Something worth mentioning is that a number of people have claimed (and I am inclined to think correctly) that a lot of the Turkish decals on helmets are esentially forgeries (where is the line between fake and forgery - hard to tell sometimes) and not actual military issue. From what I understand that seems pretty certain and conclusive with any British Mk2 types, and from the startling freshness of the ones you show it may be the case on these helmets also. There's definately enough doubt as to be wary, especially on Ebay, and to think four or five times before paying a premium for a decalled helmet. But on the other hand - what sre the chances of geting a Turkish helmet with a genuine decal? These dilemmas forever plague us.

many thanks for sharing what is two very unique helmets with the forum austro ,i see what you mean about the crest insignias and what could be just a facsimile but as they both display different shields on the opposite side i doubt it ,perhaps they were just well looked after or even were sat on a shelf someplace awaiting reissue ,either way i think youve picked up two very nice helmets well done mate

Thanks guys
    glad you approve of my new additions!!
    The extra Airborne type chinstrap certainly looks as if it had sat in the crown for a long time!!! it has left rust marks on the plastic liner from where the metal mounts lay as you say "on the shelf!!" here's a few close up pics of the metal mounts (both single liner chin strap and double "A" frame type) also note the very wide nature of the nape strap!!
    Greg here's a few more pics of the liner... I particularly like the "Donatim" trades on all the rivets!!! also looks as if it too had a decal of some type (sticker residue) either national or rank, for parade use!! like on the M1 shell!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Turkish M1 and M56/76   Turkish M1 and M56/76  

Last edited by austromunga; 03-14-2015 at 05:24 PM.

the liner sure looks great austro ,as for the chinstrap arrangement it looks bulletproof (belt and braces),can i ask if the camo cover is reversable and does it have any signs of an insignia patch that might have long since been removed ,i only ask this as im sure ive seen croatian m56's with the yugoslavian style mol camo and these bear the croation coat of arms insignia

Hi James!!!
    The cover could be reversed for a kind of snow camo... but I don't think It was designed that way also its very crudely sewn together!!! (see pic)
    and unfortunately absolutely no sign of any insignia patch "marks" I checked for this as I've also seen pictures of Turkish army helmet covers with the national insignia sewn on!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Turkish M1 and M56/76  

thanks for the extra picture,it was worth a try and i thought maybe you would of checked already allthough crude it still a nice camo cover to add to the collection

?

Many thanks for sharing the Turkish M1 liner, I have been some what intrigued by these models for awhile now, so the pictures provided give good reference for future use.

Hi all
    Picked up an uinissued M56 east German helmet net and fitted it to the M56/76 Turkish re-issue!!! i'll admit to thinking it looks better like this than with the camo cover!!! it also helps to hide the printed rank/unit insignia!!!! while the camo cover was off I fitted it to the M1 Turkish re-issue...fits quite well!!!! but I think that this camo pattern is too late for the helmet...I could be wrong!!???

While I was messing about with the M56 ..I couldn't resist a try on... well you have to don't you!....anyway I just happened to "knock" on the shell...and "bonnggg" it rings like a church bell is this normal!!!??are all East German M56 like this!!??? I would have thought that one of these would make a great mess hall Gong!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast