Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two Odd Tommy/Brodie Helmets - Civil Defense Lids?

Article about: I was looking around Ebay over the weekend and ran across two Brodie style helmets that have liner types I have not seen before. Assuming they are just another commercially made helmet for p

Default Two Odd Tommy/Brodie Helmets - Civil Defense Lids?

I was looking around Ebay over the weekend and ran across two Brodie style helmets that have liner types I have not seen before. Assuming they are just another commercially made helmet for private purchase, during the war period, but I'm not certain. Wondering if anyone has seen either of these configurations and/or have any info on them.

The first helmet is listed as a WWII Russian CD helmet which I am most certainly sure it is not, the liner is of the complete wrong configuration and I know these helmets are very rare and worth a mint.

The second helmet is just listed as a Tommy type helmet with no details. The liner looks to be a cheep version of a more Euro style liner but I've not seen another helmet configured as such.

Any thoughts on either of these helmets?

Russ & Son

Default Re: Two Odd Tommy/Brodie Helmets - Civil Defense Lids?

I also saw the "Leningrad" helmet, think I've seen it before somewhere, just cant remember where.

On picture # 1 and 2, I don't think the liner would still be there with that wear and rust on the helmet. Might of been on there for about 5 years

The first helmet, that was said to be a Russian CD helmet sold for a bit over $150 US, which, if it were actually the Russian CD, would be a mega steal, but I am all but certain it is not one of these rare helmets, the liner is not correct. I've still not found another example of one similar however. I do hope it was something special though and the buyer got a good helmet instead of buying into a story of something it was not.

Still looking for the second helmet too, have not ID'd it.

Russ

?

Your helmets are US CD helmets
    http://www.helmy.w8w.pl/amerykanski%20wz.OC.htm
    Russian CD helmet looks that
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Défense de Leningrad :.
    Piotrek

PPP, thanks for the links. I've seen sever photo examples of the Russian "Tommy" helmet and was quite certain neither of these were one of those, regardless of claim made by seller, the liner is not the Euro style. As for the second example, what makes you believe it to be a US CD helmet? The link you provide is that of the US OCD helmet but the example in the photo is nothing of the sort. I have a couple of US "private purchase" helmet examples as well as a nice OCD helmet but none are anything like ether of the two examples I posted in this thread.....it's still a myster to me!

Regards,

Russ

?

The helmets have the same shape, the same liner and inside of white helmet You can see: "VICTORY helmet, Bailey co., L.A.".
    Stewarts Military Antiques - militaria, collectables, photography and books
    WWII WW2 CIVIL DEFENSE MEDIC HELMET GARDENA CALIFORNIA
    Bailey Hat Company - Bailey of Hollywood and Bailey Western Hats
    Piotrek

Thanks for the links PPP, that makes much more sense now, both appear to be commercially made private purchase helmets. I've got a couple of these, from different makers, nobody really has record of how many differant companies made these commercial type helmets, not very collectable to most but I like them!

Thanks again for the links,

Russ

the leningrad civil defence helmet is very interesting and quite rare, apparently a product of the german siege i believe the helmet was produced in a pot and pan factory and provided much needed protection for civilian firefighters and medical staff the brim was cut by hand and is uneven and the liner was very basic it was very much in the style of the british brodie