Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Helmet, Need Help with ID

Article about: Hey guys, I picked this up a few days ago. It was sold as an experimental U.S. helmet but I don't think that's the case. I've compared this to other European helmets and I haven't been able

Default Unknown Helmet, Need Help with ID

Hey guys,

I picked this up a few days ago. It was sold as an experimental U.S. helmet but I don't think that's the case. I've compared this to other European helmets and I haven't been able to find a match. No markings are present on the helmet as well. If someone out there has an idea as to what this helmet might be, I'd appreciate it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Helmet, Need Help with ID   Unknown Helmet, Need Help with ID  

Unknown Helmet, Need Help with ID   Unknown Helmet, Need Help with ID  

Unknown Helmet, Need Help with ID  

Looks like it may have been cut down? Jim G.

Reminds me of a Swedish m26

Quote by OsiusGaming View Post
    Reminds me of a Swedish m26
    Is it possible the helmet started out as an M26 and someone cut it down to look German? Maybe a reenactor's attempt at converting the lid.

My first thought was that it was a Spanish M26, but there are significant differences. However I do agree with JimG about the possibility of it being cut down. A M26 with the from brim cut back? Unlikely but not impossible. Definately not Swedish, anyway. The only other idea I had was a Bulgarian M36C, but it certainly isni't that either. unusual thing. I'm betting it is something modified.

After browsing this again, I have reaffirmed my beief that this helmet is undoubtedly a modified Swedish helmet. Compare the color beneath the black paint to the color of these two Swedish helmets.Unknown Helmet, Need Help with IDUnknown Helmet, Need Help with ID

Also, in the last image of your helmet all the way to the right, I am able to make out this marking. Unknown Helmet, Need Help with ID It is an LI which stands for Luftskyddsinspektionen which was the predecessor for the Swedish Civil Defense.

As to why the front visor has been cut, I have no idea.