Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?

Article about: Description UNUSUAL AMERICAN M1 STEEL HELMET CHOCOLATE CHIP CAMOUFLAGE COVER, EXPORT CONTRACT? Unissued condition and unmarked but quality manufacture so made by the US for a foreign friendl

?

That is a very interesting reference picture BG, it looks very similar to a cover I have in storage, mine could well be an Iraqi "M1" cover, the pattern is very simliar???

And again I wonder what type of helmet the Iraqi soldier is wearing, the chinstrap looks thicker than what I am familiar with ?

Quote by James C View Post
    BG ive not heard of us m1's used by saudi's, i believe they used m1 clones though and yes your right they used the autumn pattern mitchell covers as well as the cookie dough pattern ,here's my example's from a few years back i used us m1's at the time as it was all i had Attachment 550710
    James C,

your correct, I was told by former US soldiers that served during DESERT STORM 91 and worked with the Saudis and supply that the Saudi soldiers used a Export M1 helmet made in TAIWAN / Republic of China , most of the officers wore the Chocolate Chip pattern covers and the enlisted mostly used a copy of the Mitchell pattern desert camo cover [non reversable]

here is one that is currently on ebay

Republic of China Taiwan Export Model Steel Helmet and Liner Unissued | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?   Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?  

Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?   Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?  

great detective work BG id heard a rumour the saudi's used chinese m1 clones but never had it truly confirmed till now ,and great information on the copy mitchell cover too

Yemeni soldiers , 5 August 2011 wearing Chinese GK80 steel helmets with desert chocolate chip pattern covers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?  

G'day All,

This is one reversible type I've had for roughly 30 years and has suffered a bit during my teenage years! I've never been sure if it was US issued due to the unusual woodlands pattern? anyway this one is from the 80's
    Last edited by reneblacky; 11-07-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added pics

thats a very unusual camo cover , I never saw one like that before with desert chocolate chip camo and the green leaf camo on the other side

I wonder what country used it?

?

Hi René, as before that's a really unusual cover, my first thought was ROK, I base that on my awareness that ROK wore choc chip and various US inspired leaf pattern's ,just a hunch could be wrong!

Very nice cover all the same

Other users of choc chic camo include China, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, Pakistan, Russia, United States, Yemen! Quite well used eh!....

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Other users of choc chic camo include China, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, Pakistan, Russia, United States, Yemen! Quite well used eh!....

You're not wrong there Gunny, it seems to be a common theme that US camo is so widely copied!, they should have copy wrote the pattern and been quids in, it is one of my favourite desert patterns

Iraqi army M1 steel helmet with flag

The venerable M-1 steel helmet was supplied in large quantities by the US to the Saudis in the 1960s and 70s, and in turn by the Saudis to Iraq in the 1980s Iran Iraq War. Many of these "Iraqi steel pots" were brought home as prized war souvenirs by US servicemen returning from Operation Desert Storm in 1991.

here is an interesting Iraqi M1 steel helmet with a hand painted flag

Iraqi Army Iran Iraq War Desert Storm Iraqi Flag Painted Khaki M 1 Steel Helmet | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?   Unusual m1 steel helmet chocolate chip camo cover?  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast