Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

US CD Helmet

Article about: Re: WWII era steel helmet made by B.F. McDonald Co. , Los Angeles Very interesting BG, I have never seen a helmet like this before in all my years of collecting, the bale arrangement is intr

?

Default US CD Helmet

Hi Fellow collectors, I know these are not military issue,and purely civil defence, but it is made of steel, so I am not even sure if this is the right section,moderators please feel free to move this one to the correct section,if necessary!

This particular example is in remarkable condition for a 1940's helmet, with just a small amount of rust,the white finish is matt in appearance,which makes me wonder if these helmets were issued in white matt paint,or a gloss which has degraded over the years.The US Gov OCD property stamp is nice and clear which is a bonus.And all the liner parts are present and correct. I get the impression these are not highly sought after, especially after scouring the web for information, but I am pleased to own it. Obviously they are not worth a great deal financially, but in comparison to the British equivalent they are far superior from a quality of build point of view.

US CD Helmet

US CD Helmet

US CD Helmet

US CD Helmet

US CD Helmet

?

Nice home front helmet.

?

Many thanks for the compliment Steve, I guess over your side of the pond they are common,
    and as a result quite cheap to purchase.

I see these all the time at swap meets in the USA, usually old rusty barn find condition, sometimes they still have the Civil defense decals & markings on the outside

they are interesting home front helmets, but I noticed they dont really sell too well, and can be bought really cheap for $5 - $20

I heard these were also used during the 1950's & 60's in fall out shelters with emergency supplies , food, etc during the cold war

Yep, these show up every where. Check eBay any day of the week and you will see a ton. I had a few some years ago and could hardly get them sold. They finally did but not until I took a hit on them. And mine had decals and still wouldn't sell.

I would have one but the shipping and customs outway the cost of the helmet,maybe one day,and to think these were all produced by McCord Radiator mfg........nice buy Opex...........Jake.

very nice example opex ,i had one myself but gave it to andy aj4010 after he kindly gave me some eastern block helmets ,im really glad i sent it ,because he was over the moon with it and it came at a time when really he needed a boost ,a short time later he sadly passed away , im sure he wouldnt mind me posting this picture he sent me of his special displayUS CD Helmet

I strongly believe that every U.S. collection should have one of these. Unfortunately (fortunately...?), as your research shows, they are not rare or very desirable. I've had so many people offer me these that I had to turn them down.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US CD Helmet  

Have a whip round Joe and send me one pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

I may have an extra one under my bed back home...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast