Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

US CD Helmet

Article about: Re: WWII era steel helmet made by B.F. McDonald Co. , Los Angeles Very interesting BG, I have never seen a helmet like this before in all my years of collecting, the bale arrangement is intr

?

Pretty common items that don't command much value or respect, but still pretty cool pieces of historic significance (IMO). Had the US suffered some of the devastation Europe suffered via air raids, ect - they would likely be more sought after. These helmets survived the war in large quantities.

A couple of items I've acquired over the years.
    US CD Helmet
    Regards,
    John

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    I see these all the time at swap meets in the USA, usually old rusty barn find condition, sometimes they still have the Civil defense decals & markings on the outside

they are interesting home front helmets, but I noticed they dont really sell too well, and can be bought really cheap for $5 - $20

I heard these were also used during the 1950's & 60's in fall out shelters with emergency supplies , food, etc during the cold war
    Thanks for your comments BG, I assumed they were not worth much, but that's fine!

Interesting information regarding their use in the 50's/60's as well,thanks again.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Yep, these show up every where. Check eBay any day of the week and you will see a ton. I had a few some years ago and could hardly get them sold. They finally did but not until I took a hit on them. And mine had decals and still wouldn't sell.

Many thanks for your input, as I assumed these must be very common on your shores, not so much over here sadly,thanks again.

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I would have one but the shipping and customs outway the cost of the helmet,maybe one day,and to think these were all produced by McCord Radiator mfg........nice buy Opex...........Jake.

Many thanks Jake, and I never realised they were made by McCord, that's great information!

?

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice example opex ,i had one myself but gave it to andy aj4010 after he kindly gave me some eastern block helmets ,im really glad i sent it ,because he was over the moon with it and it came at a time when really he needed a boost ,a short time later he sadly passed away , im sure he wouldnt mind me posting this picture he sent me of his special displayAttachment 559475

Excellent display, and yes a tragic story, but his memory lives on through his collection.
    Thanks for looking and for your input on this.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I strongly believe that every U.S. collection should have one of these. Unfortunately (fortunately...?), as your research shows, they are not rare or very desirable. I've had so many people offer me these that I had to turn them down.

Thanks again, I'm with you on that one, I feel proud to own this one, and it looks great on display,wish I was offered some more.

Much appreciated input.

?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Pretty common items that don't command much value or respect, but still pretty cool pieces of historic significance (IMO). Had the US suffered some of the devastation Europe suffered via air raids, ect - they would likely be more sought after. These helmets survived the war in large quantities.

A couple of items I've acquired over the years.
    US CD Helmet

Very good point made , and an excellent CD collection, maybe one day these will become not so common and therefore more collectable, it's great they are valued here.

Thanks for your reply.

Default B.F. McDonald , Los Angeles

WWII era steel helmet made by B.F. McDonald Co. , Los Angeles

these were originally made for civillian workers but were also used by Civil Defense, and the US Merchant Marine on Liberty Ships, also used by the US military during training manuevers , original Olive drab paint and factory decal inside

Ive seen some of these painted white by the factory and used for WWII Civil Defense

this one has more of a WWI style doughboy appearance with the OD paint

they used several different types of helmets for Civil Defense, sometimes they used old WWI military M1917 helmets, Ive seen a few of those too
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US CD Helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images US CD Helmet 

Quote by battle gear View Post
    WWII era steel helmet made by B.F. McDonald Co. , Los Angeles

these were originally made for civillian workers but were also used by Civil Defense, and the US Merchant Marine on Liberty Ships, also used by the US military during training manuevers , original Olive drab paint and factory decal inside

Ive seen some of these painted white by the factory and used for WWII Civil Defense

this one has more of a WWI style doughboy appearance with the OD paint

they used several different types of helmets for Civil Defense, sometimes they used old WWI military M1917 helmets, Ive seen a few of those too
    very nice example BG and great display and nothing that ive ever seen before so thanks for showing ,to my eye i can see similarities in the liner to our humble british zuckerman fireguard helmet

the steel they used on my B.F. McDonald helmet seems a little lighter than a military combat helmet

it's more of a hard hat used by heavy equipment operators, the civillian SEABEE's probably used this type of helmet as well

I also like that it's made right here in California in my home state, that makes it more interesting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast