Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vietnam era helmet

Article about: by jacob dubbel hi well your wright whit that nick but there is one thing i wanna know about the K.L is it written whit a marker or is it paint and can you pleas post a close up my dad was w

Default Vietnam era helmet

Hey guys.

I bought this helmet on ebay for 11 Eur.
    I have some pictures i just wanted to share with you guys.
    The helmet is stamped US 78 or US 72, i cant really tell, but i think its 78. And the soldier who had the helmet have witten his initials all over this thing.
    I thought is was kinda neat that the liner had camo paint, i haven't seen that before.

It is also stamped "SML LOT 11" on the headband.
    If any of you have more info on the helmet, don't hesitate to post it or PM me

/Mick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam era helmet   Vietnam era helmet  

Vietnam era helmet   Vietnam era helmet  

BROADSWORD
    ?

Default Re: Vietnam era helmet

Hi it looks like a dutch army helmet they copied the us pattern ,still a good buy for 11.00 euros camo cover could be nam issue have a look for a date .

Hi,

As i wrote it is stamped in the liner "US 78" or "US 72" I just asked around my house to hear what they think there was stamped, and they all said 78.

So in the liner is stamped "US 78" - and the cover is stamped "Camouflage" - Maybe some more, its faded out.

Otherwise than that it has the characteristics of a US Vietnam M1.

hi

do you see that K.L written in black marker

it means koninklijke landmacht [royal dutch army]
    it cold be that these seen action in vietnam and that the dutch army bought it or was jused by a marine/infanterist who already had the american looking gear as many from those days

these helmets were bought from the usa after the war until 1980 or so

Okay, hmm i thought it could be the former soldiers initials.

Well, what do you know, thanks for that info.

?

well i would say that they were the initials of the former owner & that this is a US issued helmet but if that 78 stamp is the date then its to late to be Vietnam issue as the war ended in 75 & also the liner is not dutch as they copied the WW2 style of liner layout see pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam era helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Vietnam era helmet 

Quote by NickD View Post
    well i would say that they were the initials of the former owner & that this is a US issued helmet but if that 78 stamp is the date then its to late to be Vietnam issue as the war ended in 75 & also the liner is not dutch as they copied the WW2 style of liner layout see pics
    That is what i think to, and yes 78 is to late for the Vietnam War

Thanks for your answer Nick!

/Mick

Quote by NickD View Post
    hi nick

could be but trust me not all helmets in the dutch army had that liner style in its helmets dont take me wrong but if it aint dutch it also can be one of the other 12 country`s who had this type

also to me the black marker looks like it was done to make shure the helmet wasnt framed from the governemt as normally the initials would be [as i seen it many times] in the chinstrap or in the back of the neck [canvas looking strip]

my father was in de k.l in 76 and he still has his gear and he has the same markings in its helmet and clothes bag[plunjezak]

and his name doenst start whit a k or an l

?

i dont take anyone the wrong way i know these helmets were widely used among many countries but i dont believe this is an dutch m1 clone but thats not say it wasn't shipped there from the US or as i later found out Canada where this style of helmet was later made. but without the total story behind this helmet we will never know ??????

hi

well your wright whit that nick
    but there is one thing i wanna know about the K.L

is it written whit a marker or is it paint
    and can you pleas post a close up

my dad was whit the supply division back in the 76
    got his pocket knife and thats when it all started

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast