Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

West German Helmet

Article about: Hi ,Fellow collectors. Here's what I think may be a West German M60/85? model, sadly it is missing the chinstraps, but otherwise is complete. Is there a definitive way to understand what spe

?

Default West German Helmet

Hi ,Fellow collectors.

Here's what I think may be a West German M60/85? model, sadly it is missing the chinstraps, but otherwise is complete.

Is there a definitive way to understand what specific model this is, and therefore what I can check out for myself?

Regards

Opex.

West German Helmet
    West German Helmet
    West German Helmet

Default Re: West German Helmet

Opex... from this list you will be able to identify your helmet, after removing the cover........

After 1981 it was intended that all steel helmet models were to be upgraded. this list shows all variants of the basic M60/62, sorry for any mistakes, as I have had to translate from French. 1) Models M81 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type, side edges thin, with interior model 1981 (which has a plastic neck protector added) , with a 2-point chinstrap. 2 external rivets for the chinstrap. Screw head on crown.
    2) M85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type, side edges thin, with interior model 1981, with the new 3-point chinstrap. 3 external chinstrap rivets, screw head on crown.

Also old helmets M60/62's were upgraded:

1) M60/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell first type. Interior model 1981. The 6 old rivet holes are sealed and 3 are added to the 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown. This is the standard M85 M60 renovated (9 visible rivets).
    2) M60-62/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": first shell type.Interior model 1981. The two old rivet holes of the former interior are sealed, three new rivets are set for the new 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown not visible. This is brought to standard M60/62 M85 (5 visible rivets) specification.
    3) M62/85 or M81/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type. interior model 1981. The two rivet holes of the old interior are sealed and three new rivets are set for the new 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown visible. This is brought to the M62 or 81 to standard M85 (5 visible rivets) specifications.
    Note: The interior 60 and interior 81 is easily interchangeable, can be found in M60/62 or M62 equipped with interior model 1981 after upgrade. Note, all have the plastic neck protector as part of the 1981 interior package........complicated subject, hey what old chap !
    Also see here the full thread on West German helmets.... Bundeswehr steel helmets. is on the Bundesewhr sub section, where this post should be....
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Hi Steve, Excellent information, I shall have an investigation this afternoon, and discover which specific model I have.

Many thanks for the resources shared.

Quote by Opex View Post
    Hi Steve, Excellent information, I shall have an investigation this afternoon, and discover which specific model I have. many thanks for the resources shared.
    Let us know which one you have.......
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Will do Steve, I'm still trying to work it out.. LOL

Thanks again.

nice to see more of your collection opex ,i like the cover /band combination i think your right about the designation m85 and i see 4 x blank rivits so it could be an early upgraded m60 the liner looks to have seen some use
    Regards James

i forgot to say ,if you get time as steve said pop over to the bundeswehr forum ,some great info and some superb collections to view also im sure you are going to love steve's new composite gefechtshelm display
    Regards James

?

Thanks James, I will indeed check out the Bundy section, West german helmets are not really my thing, this is the only one I own,but saying that I would love to add the Para version to my collection!

Thanks again Mate.