Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

West German M60 Helmet (?)

Article about: Hi Guys, Could you confirm, that this is an early type M60 West German helmet? (I would say yes) THX!

very nice example fabe ,well done on your foray into the world of bundeswehr helmets ,believe me they are very addictive and so many different variations ,you would be surprised ,thanks for showing ,james

?

The BW M60 helmet arrived - also picked up an early BW mess-tin/canteen set from 1961 - probably the same age as the helmet...Sorry for the crappy pics!

I didn't find any markings on the helmet - only the head-size on the liner: 56-58
    West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)

PS: I saw this BW belt - can anyone explain all those numbers on the buckle?
    West German M60 Helmet (?)West German M60 Helmet (?)

THX,
    Fabe

Quote by Fabe View Post
    Hi Guys,

Could you confirm, that this is an early type M60 West German helmet?
    (I would say yes)

THX!

Attachment 667097Attachment 667098

very nice fabe i cant seem to open the attachments though to see the belt

?

try now?
    THX!

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice fabe i cant seem to open the attachments though to see the belt

fabe it worked ,very nice additions as always ,as for the belt i havent a clue on the serial numbers but i know a man that will do ,do you plan on adding a cover to the helmet or leave it as is ,i fitted a us m1 cover to mine ,thanks for showing ,james

?

Thanks - no plans yet for a cover - was there a "period" (1960s) BW cover for these, or they just used US M1 covers? I'm still learning NVA, I know nothing about BW yet...

Quote by James C View Post
    fabe it worked ,very nice additions as always ,as for the belt i havent a clue on the serial numbers but i know a man that will do ,do you plan on adding a cover to the helmet or leave it as is ,i fitted a us m1 cover to mine ,thanks for showing ,james

your right no period cover issued fabe untill the 90's flectarn ,the bw begged or borrowed or improvised with a section of Amoebatarn zeltbahn tucked in under the netting

?

ah, then eventually I'll need to find a 1960s US M1 cover...something else I know nothing about....yet.

Fabe, nice M60 steel helmet with second pattern liner, these are not that easy to find these days, I have a first pattern liner M60, but not a second pattern one ! The canteen/water bottle is the third style used by the BW from around 1960, lasting to the early 1990's ! yours is painted with a special coating to help in decontamination in NBC contamination scenarios.......later versions were just painted a semi-flat Oliv.
    The belt was in use around 1960 lasting again until the early 1990's.........a previous short lived version in 1959/60 had an open faced buckle, see below......................the numbers are Government/manufacturers serial/catalogue numbers.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture West German M60 Helmet (?)  

Fabe, nice helmet!

here are some examples of helmet nets used on the BW M60 hemet

the clip on net like these are very common and easily available, they also used US covers under the nets and other materials like burlap sacks, camo netting, etc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture West German M60 Helmet (?)  
    Attached Images Attached Images West German M60 Helmet (?)  West German M60 Helmet (?) 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast