Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What type of helmet do i have here

Article about: Hi, I picked this up on ebay as a throw in. Can anyone tell me what type of steel pot and liner I have? I think the liner is from a Belgian M51 but not 100% sure. The steel pot I have no ide

Default What type of helmet do i have here

Hi,
    I picked this up on ebay as a throw in.
    Can anyone tell me what type of steel pot and liner I have?
    I think the liner is from a Belgian M51 but not 100% sure.
    The steel pot I have no idea.
    The cover is a US 1970s cammo cover.
    I have no idea about the net.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of helmet do i have here   What type of helmet do i have here  

What type of helmet do i have here   What type of helmet do i have here  

What type of helmet do i have here  

?
    Regards,
    John

The liner is indeed Belgian, Levior make motorcycle helmets too!..

i think the the hole helmet is belgain. not shore about the net.

Liner is certainly Belgian, and the camo cover is (I believe - Belgian helmet covers ) Belgian also; as to the actual origin of the shell, this can be virtually impossible to say for certain unless you find any stampings/markings/stencillings within. Which I guesss you haven't. Probably Belgian.

NB There are small variations in size and shape among the M1 copies made in Europe, but these can be hard to spot with the naked eye unless compared directly one to another.

?

Very nice example, if it was in my collection I would be checking the shell for a heatstamp as it "could" be US in origin, if there was no heatstamp then at least you could rule out it being US. Interesting piece the liner looks grey in the photo therefore could be Airforce or Gendarmermie!

Thank you guys for all of your input.
    The helmet cover is US.
    The net, liner and pot look to be Belgian as you have told me.
    There are no heat stamp markings inside the pot.
    I think the liner should go to an Air Force blue helmet.
    If any US residents are interested in it, PM me and make me an offer.
    I really only collect US helmets.
    I got this in a deal with a PASGT.
    No offense to non-US members, its just that shipping is a pain and I have had issues shipping abroad in the past.

JBR
    ?

One small extra point, the steel shell chinstrap is typically Belgian, too. I believe it was introduced as an improved replacement for the version with US swivel-loop clips - a bit like the US M73 straps. Best Regards, John

?

Quote by JBR View Post
    One small extra point, the steel shell chinstrap is typically Belgian, too. I believe it was introduced as an improved replacement for the version with US swivel-loop clips - a bit like the US M73 straps. Best Regards, John

That's a very good point John, I missed that the first time around these types of straps are quite uncommon, I think that is a complete bonus for this helmet!

nice original pairing of liner and shell and in my favorite salty condition i think cosmetically it is a bit of a mish mash ,im sure the netting is british and found on the later post war turtle helmets ,is the us cover ink stamped if so what is the dla date stamp and is it erdl or woodland ,i wonder what caused the inner and outer crown corrosion ,bad storage ?