Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What year and what type of helmet is this US Air Raid Civil Defense helmet

Article about: I have this Air Raid Civil Defense helmet, I believe it is a M1917 helmet but I do not know the difference between the M1917 and a British doughboy. If anyone knows what type of helmet it is

Default What year and what type of helmet is this US Air Raid Civil Defense helmet

I have this Air Raid Civil Defense helmet, I believe it is a M1917 helmet but I do not know the difference between the M1917 and a British doughboy. If anyone knows what type of helmet it is and when it would have been in service that would be great, thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What year and what type of helmet is this US Air Raid Civil Defense helmet   What year and what type of helmet is this US Air Raid Civil Defense helmet  

This is not a military helmet, but rather a helmet model produced specifically for Civil Defense use, similar to the British 'Zuckerman' design. You'll notice that the dome of the helmet is much higher than either a Mk1, Mk2 or M1917 'Brodie' helmet. These were produced and used during WWII, but were used long afterwards as well. I am afraid I can't be of any more help, as I do not collect or specialize in U.S. items.

Regards, B.B.

Wow, I though they were just repurposed older war helmets, thank you for your help.

MAP
    ?

I believe these are M1917 "style" helmets. Lighter in weight and construction. Not military grade and produced for the civilian market.

I think these helmets are from the 50's and 60's. But happy to be wrong.

They are US Citizen Defense Corps (which I think later was called the US Civil Defense Corps post WW2). Again...just info that needs to be fact checked.

Here is a link with War Time insignia

US WW2 Air Raid Warden / Civil Defense Helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

@BrodieBartfast Actually I just compared it my M1917 and the dome is not higher, it is the exact same, I know what your talking about though I have 2 others of the US Government made ones.

- - ------- - -

@Map That makes more sense, thank you

If this was a true Civil Defense Helmet it would be marked on the inside OCD, US Government Property (Office of Civil Defense). There were many variations of these helmets used during WW2 in the United States.. As Map has said there were some M1917a1 type helmets used and as you indicated you have some of the US GVT marked helmets..

I have my grandfathers Civil Defense Helmet and his reflective Sam Browne Belt he used when he was a Warden in WW2.. When time permits I will take some pictures of his items..

Nice helmet variation by the way..

Smitty