Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would love some help with Italian M33 helmets

Article about: Brand new to War Relics forum but have used it as a guide for years. I have 3 Italian M33 helmets that I need help identifying. I've upload some pics but not sure if the cell phone quality i

MAP
    ?

Default Would love some help with Italian M33 helmets

Brand new to War Relics forum but have used it as a guide for years. I have 3 Italian M33 helmets that I need help identifying. I've upload some pics but not sure if the "cell" phone quality is all that good. All apear to have the early apple/green color and square chin strap retainers

1) First helmet on the left: After much research I could not identify the stencil. Also it is yellow when I think most should be black. It is is amazing shape with soft leather and chin strap. No markings on back of helmet or on chin strap retainer. Looks almost too good to be pre-45. I've also included a pic of part of the chin strap. The chinstrap retainer and buckle are still painted the apple/green Stitching however looks cheep. Have a gty from my friend so can always return. (Also bought an Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro with Feathers, Fascist Fez Modello 38 of the MVSN and nice Sapper Pith Helmet with feathers)

2) Middle helmet I pick up for a few bucks. Garage sale find. This has a darker green coat of paint that chips of easily. Under it is the lighter green. Helmet is marked (?-64, can't make out the first symbol and the chin strap retainer with the crown/RT. The odd part is the chin strap itself (Pic included). It is very old and brittle but is not the typical thicker green strap. It may be a replacement but due to wear on the strap near the retainer it has been with this helmet for a very very long time.

3) Third helmet on right appears correct. However no markings, light green paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Would love some help with Italian M33 helmets   Would love some help with Italian M33 helmets  

Would love some help with Italian M33 helmets   Would love some help with Italian M33 helmets  

MAP
    ?

Anyone recognize the stencil on the first helmet? I'm stumped. Fantasy stencil? Thanks!

I know that on ebay they sell stencils for Italian helmets, it might be one of them..i havent seen one of those though..btw yours looks like its sprayed not stencil

MAP
    ?

Thanks. Will try to post a clearer pic tomorrow. but yes it could be a spray Does it make a difference?. I've seen the eBay stencils and even read thru the 1943 edition of the US Govt manual on Italian forces. Nothing in there either.

I'm just trying to determine if it's real WWII or fake. I can return it but really want to know what this thing is. There is what appears to be an FR in the middle of the eagle.

Thanks again.

So as not to mislead, I admit I have little knowledge of Italian helmets and their markings, OK? But I was interested enough to make a few websearches, and came up with this - .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 933 :. - look right at the bottom of this page and you will see a similar, but not totally identical, marking, that of the Italian Air Force (or, possibly, the Italian Air Force Police...something makes me think I have seen this before somewhere.) I am also inclined to think - possibly quite wrongly - that as a crown is incorporated it might date from after the fall of Mussolini, ie immediate post WW2, perhaps. This all might be completely wrong and useles, but there you go.

The Spanish also used these after the war with an eagle,but with a crucifix..it different to yours

MAP
    ?

Sounds plausible and thanks. I think the key here will to identify the "FR" in the stencil.

MAP
    ?

Will download a better picture tonight of the stencil

MAP
    ?

Oh, so close. Could be.it. do we know what the button /badge is?

You've been a great help. As noted Will upload more detail ed pics tonight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast