Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

would you ever buy a repro WWII German helmet? who makes the best repro on the market?

Article about: I personally would not buy one, it will never be more than it is, that feeling that all collectors know when you hold something original just won't be there. I would go with something real i

?

Default Re: would you ever buy a repro WWII German helmet? who makes the best repro on the market?

I personally would not buy one, it will never be more than it is, that feeling that all collectors know when you hold something original just won't be there.
    I would go with something real in whatever condition you can afford. I don't get the price thing either, but if that's what people are prepared to pay, that's what they will get charged, and you don't actually know what people are paying, you only know the advertised price.

Default Re: would you ever buy a repro WWII German helmet? who makes the best repro on the market?

Very interesting topic.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Quote by salzburg View Post
    frankly, for the price of a repro i'd rather have a relic lid. At least it has historical value.

Martin
    x3
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    If I had enough to buy a real TR helmet I'd buy a Dutch M16 instead. If I could find one. .
    Greg, I don't disagree with you, there's a Dutch M16 on ebay now, it will be interesting to see what it goes for.
    Original Dutch MOD16 Helmet Casque Neerlandais Hollandische Stahlhelm Elmo Casco | eBay
    Steve.

I would not spend a cent on repros, helmets, uniforms, whatever......
    If by some reason i cant afford it, i rather not have it.
    Cheers
    Nuno

?

Let me put it this way.....Not Knowingly.
    Regards,
    John

They are expensive but you can consider them an investment, it's not like spending £400 on a bottle of champagne that you hose into the drains half an hour later The price is high because the demand is high, and the demand does outstrip supply even though there are countless helmets out there.

Also, it should be noted that we German helmet collectors are absolutely crazy. Try telling a heroin addict that his bag is twice the price this week. He will probably still go for it.

You will have more fun of an original helmet.
    Save every month some money. It may take awhile but it will be worth it.

its already been said but in year done i road you will be unsatified with it and wish you had that 100 dollars or how ever much back to spend on an actual nice german ww2 helmet !!! i like what a few said try to get a relic helmet i have seen them go as cheap as 80-100 dollars on ebay just do your research and post what you find here on the forum and the guys will tell you if its a good orignal helmet !!

Quote by battle gear View Post
    since original WWII German helmets are so expensive, I was thinking of buying a nice repro and adding the decals and aging it to look like a WWII model for display

anybody own a repro? are they close to the originals or made of some type of soft pot metal?
    repros are made with 16 18 guage mild steel and very bendable when mildly squeezing with your hands original WWII M35 M40 M42'S are made with manganese silicon steel (hope I'm spelling that right) very tough can not be bent easly. M16, 17, 18 M34's I think are just a high carbon steel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast