Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

would you ever buy a repro WWII German helmet? who makes the best repro on the market?

Article about: I personally would not buy one, it will never be more than it is, that feeling that all collectors know when you hold something original just won't be there. I would go with something real i

?

Default Re: would you ever buy a repro WWII German helmet? who makes the best repro on the market?

Hey battle gear! If it helps.. I have a few original German helmets on my display but will never be able to justify the money for a decent original fallschirmjager helmet (which is one of my favourite helmets.) So I have a nice quality repro which I then painted up and it displays great! But I also agree you might be better just getting an original as said even just a decent relic or maybe even a restoration project you cant beat the real deal! End of the day its personal preference and your choice! Cheers! Sean.

Default Re: would you ever buy a repro WWII German helmet? who makes the best repro on the market?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    since original WWII German helmets are so expensive, I was thinking of buying a nice repro and adding the decals and aging it to look like a WWII model for display

anybody own a repro? are they close to the originals or made of some type of soft pot metal?
    i would like to think there is still some original german helmets out there in peoples basements, sheds, ex. that they just are not intrested in what so ever. and sometimes getting out talking to people about your hobby you might just find one. or somthing else that you might be able to sell to get a real german helmet. i no its a long shot. but you just dont no.

A repro helmet is akin to a toy, in my eyes. It has never been anywhere or experienced even the smallest most insignificant touch of History. You'd be just as well off hanging up a Photo of one...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

originals just cost way more than Im willing to pay for a helmet , so I'll probably just never own one

maybe I'll buy a post war used German type helmet like the Hungarian models that have the look of a WWII German helmet and also made of better quality steels than the repros

at least it would be a real helmet that was actually used and has some history

thanks for all the replies

Hey battle gear,
    A couple of months ago I had a semi-relic lid its a really nice one with a fake decal and a Lithuanian liner which looks pretty close to the originals I bought at a yard sale and posted it here on the forum. If you want it? its yours my friend. give me your address!!. look at the discussions back a few months to retrieve the pic's its a Quist 64 German wartime, I don't need the money.

That's a nice gesture. As I recall, it wasn't all that bad - I thought
    it would make a great display piece.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Go the relic lid with battle damage. One i had was mint. Great talking point in my home

Quote by Major Tom View Post
    Hey battle gear,
    A couple of months ago I had a semi-relic lid its a really nice one with a fake decal and a Lithuanian liner which looks pretty close to the originals I bought at a yard sale and posted it here on the forum. If you want it? its yours my friend. give me your address!!. look at the discussions back a few months to retrieve the pic's its a Quist 64 German wartime, I don't need the money.
    That is very kind of you.

I think its a nice piece, I also thought I hit the jackpot when I bought it. But sometimes it just about the nostalgia of owning the real McCoy no matter what its worth. Im saving bills for a real nice one anyway. Hopefully Battle gear wants it.

If he doesn't, you can send it up this way...........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast