Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?

Article about: Hello Gents, I need your opinion on this relic helmet. Is this WW2 or post war, Para or Armoured Crew, British or Belgian helmet? It`s looks like helmet has been painted quite a few times. I

Quote by brickie501 View Post
    Although the number & the 'ownership' markings could be from entirely different phases of its life!
    That is my point exactly.

In my time the term Pegasus Company was never used, it was just "P Coy" and in documentation it was nominated as "Pre-Parachute Selection or even just "Pre-Para". The same regime applied to Para Regt (The route I followed) and to "All-Arms" they were just loaded onto separate courses.

As P'Coy was based in Depot The Parachute Regt and Airborne Forces, Browning Bks, Aldershot (as far as affected me) with Other Airborne over the road in Montgomery Lines (in my time in "The Shot" 1st, 2nd and 3rd Bns were all there at some point) it is very likely that steel helmets would have moved between the "Q" Stores in the battalions and the Depot.

I am not aware of any other situation than "P Coy" where helmets were marked in such a manner. I believe it is still the case in the present location at Catterick (it is still there I think?).

Either way this is still a para shell with virtually no paint left that is worth saving

"Utrinque Paratus" was my first regimental motto followed later by "Exemplo Ducemus"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    "Utrinque Paratus" was my first regimental motto followed later by "Exemplo Ducemus"

I'm going to have to watch what I say

Quote by brickie501 View Post

I'm going to have to watch what I say
    Hahaha, you never know where it comes from, you only know it does

The great thing about a forum is that we can share knowledge but also opinion which leads to discussion and thereby leads to more shared knowledge

It's the nearest thing we will get to perpetual motion in our lifetime I reckon

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2