Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Police Helmet?

Article about: I think I'll end up just selling it on ebay but with out cheating people! So Its a Old Civilian police helmet? or is it world war 2 civil defense helmet. I want to label it right. So basical

?

Default WWI Police Helmet?

WWI Police Helmet?WWI Police Helmet?I am new to this forum and collecting WWI and WWII Items. One of my recent acquistions is a WWI helemt with police written across the front. I can make out that it was made by B F McDlonald in Los Angeles. I am hoping someone can tell me about it. I have attached photos. Thankyou

Default Re: WWI Police Helmet?

hello, it's a WWII era civillian hard hat, but was also used by Civil Defense, Police and by the US MERCHANT MARINE on Liberty Ships during WWII

it was designed by a WWI army veteran

?

I was told WWI! I probably paid too much for it then. Do you know its value? I can't find anything on it at all!

Quote by scottl View Post
    I was told WWI! I probably paid too much for it then. Do you know its value? I can't find anything on it at all!
    yes, these usually sell for around $25 - $35

I saw one at the antique mall painted white with Civil Defense insignia on the front and inside it had a label that said "Property of the city of San Francisco" it was on sale for around $32

?

I guess I learned the hard way! Oh well next time I'll do more research before purchasing. I am just starting out collecting so next time I'll do better and check here first!

I have one in my collection with original OD green paint in excellent condition

WWI Police Helmet?WWI Police Helmet?WWI Police Helmet?

?

The straps are different in mine but mfg def the same. i can see the tag inside mine just worn off and manf printed on edge but really worn down and difficult to see. Is the police written on it authentic?

Quote by scottl View Post
    The straps are different in mine but mfg def the same. i can see the tag inside mine just worn off and manf printed on edge but really worn down and difficult to see. Is the police written on it authentic?
    Ive think my helmet could be the earlier version, because Ive seen some more modern hard hats made by the same company and the straps were more like your helmet

I think the markings POLICE are authentic, no reason to fake something like that

?

So is it rare since it has police written across it? I can't find anything about it online anywhere. Been searching for days. It had seemed to match WWI helmets and I had thought it was just because of how worn manufacture name was that is on rim. you can't see it unless you hold it under certain light. I'm glad at least to know it is real just not as old as I thought. I wish it had been WWI though!

it's not rare or highly collectable, just a old civilian police helmet , it looks like it was used back in the 1950's, I hope you didnt pay a lot of money for this?

if it had the name of a well known city it would be more valuable, like if it said "NYC POLICE" or other well known police dept.

since it's just marked POLICE, it could be from anywhere, probably a small town police dept used during an emergency or during a riot or protest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast