Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Warden's helmet

Article about: Hello All, I wondered if anyone could tell me about this helmet. I'm presuming it's a WWII Warden's helmet. What mark is it? I can't see any imprint marks on the inside. As you can see it co

Default WWII Warden's helmet

Hello All,

I wondered if anyone could tell me about this helmet. I'm presuming it's a WWII Warden's helmet. What mark is it? I can't see any imprint marks on the inside. As you can see it could do with a bit of a clean! Any information you can give to me would be much appreciated as I'm starting right at the very start with all of this!

Kind regards,
    Izzie
    WWII Warden's helmetWWII Warden's helmetWWII Warden's helmetWWII Warden's helmet

?

Izzie, I'm no expert and am only just getting into WWII British helmets but it looks like a MKII helmet, if the liner has an oval pad it'll be the MKI type liner. Markings or stamps on the liner are sometimes faint but can be found on the cross straps in the helmet dome and stamps on the helmet are on the underside of the brim, usually near where the chinstrap is riveted in place.

Take a look here mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours and here Commonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner Manufacturers

Tony

Hello izzie and welcome to the forum well for a starter helmet you have done pretty well ,the shell shows an interesting patina and even though its shows its years its nice to see a complete liner and chinstrap ,i would agree with tony's appraisal too on its liner ,well done and thanks for sharing ,regards james

Hi as said Its a MKII shell indicated by the MKIII chinstrap lugs which were not on the MKI or MKI* and a MKI liner so should be dated around 1938-1939 and the shell around 1940, markings should be around the chinstrap lugs, also a very nice helmet.

Matt

Thank you so much Tony, James and Matt. How fascinating! I shall enjoy following up what you've all told me
    Izzie

Welcome to the forum Izzie, this looks to be a nice early tan Wardens helmet (circa 1940). Later war helmets are generally black and most "tans" were over painted so you have found a nice one. Well done. Leon.

Thanks Leon, I didn't know that! How can you tell if you have a tan that has been overpainted? With difficulty I imagine, unless you can see the original colour poking through?