Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Biggest regret in Not Participating in a living history event or with historical objects/experiences

Article about: I had a chance to fly in the He-111 in the early 2000's it was a short trip and was somewhere between \\$500-1000 donation. I passed even though i had the cash. every bone in my body was sayin

I have some regrets...My main regret is that I spent far too much time & money in pubs when I was a younger man...Another regret is that I've sold pieces from my collection that were irreplaceable, because I needed quick cash, especially selling my first Stahlhelm which I got at ten years old...I'm working on my 4th collection right now, I started collecting Militaria when I was 8 years old, growing up in Germany...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by Erno View Post
    Likewise, the people who were in the plane probably regretted being there when it crashed.
    I doubt they had time for that, apparently they fought the aircraft down, port engine out, working hard to avoid a large housing conurbation and oil refinery before crashing in front of a school bus washing garage that was under construction. The only man in the building escaped by seconds and was only yards away when it hit. He was reported as saying in a message to the pilot's families:

"They should know these guys are heroes. "They were fighting their asses off trying to steer that plane away from houses and an oil refinery...the last thing they saw was me hauling ass...,"

It may have been some consolation to the bereaved families to know that they died doing what they loved, and they died selflessly.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I didn't know that there was a fatal crash...thanks for the info!
    Glenn

?

Thumbs up

I agree - It is much better to do something you really want to do than to wish later that you had.
    I've gotten to ride in (& fly), and jump out of a variety of WW 2 A/C - Fiesler Storch, JU 52, B 17, C 47, C 46 & C 45. I have on a few occasions let someone else make the flight because I was sure I would get the opportunity to do so later. Unfortunately that "later" never happened with the HE 111. I got to watch it make a landing with one main gear not locked down. The bird spent many months grounded before all that damage got repaired.
    Sarge

That decision of not taking the flight must be hard to live with! I would loved to have flown in a HE11 more so than a Lancaster or B17

That's life I suppose

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I remember having the chance to fly into Duxford Airfield, from East Midlands Airport*, on board a Dakota!

A local chap did trips to most of the UK circuit Airshows, a good few years ago now, I think it was called "Airshow UK" (?).

Coach from Liverpool to *EMA, Dakota into Duxford for a "Flying Legends" Airshow, and Dakota back to EMA and coach home.

The bloody thing flew nose high and it rattled all the way there and back again, and did it land with a big bump!

Never regretted it at all (once on Terra Firma and safely on the coach home ).

On this day, parked next to us, was a Dakota from the "Dutch Dakota Association"..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Dakota_Association

I talked to all of it's flying crew.

Not long after it returned to Holland, a couple of weeks later, it crashed at sea with 32 dead.

So, although it's a great experience, it is very, very dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFsKb88ZRjE

Flying has one major drawback... If the engines cut out while you are in the air there is no hard shoulder to pull in to. You don't stop until you hit the ground.

With a big bang..

?

Cool

Well, I suppose so, But - IF you never take a chance on things you think/know you'd like then you have probably blown the chance of a life time!!!
    I have flown, and flown in, a wide variety of airplanes. I have also jumped out of about a half dozed - to include 3 jumps from a B 17, I've never been in a B 17 when it landed - including one jump in Viet Nam.
    I am one of those who always said/thought that only a fool would jump out of a perfectly good airplane. This in spite of the fact that I have landed with the hydraulics out and the gear down by hand, an engine blown up and a variety of lesser problems.
    All of this with out being shot at.
    Then I switched from the Navy to the Army and went Airborne. I love to fly, But I found that I'd rather jump than fly! Flying is no big deal, it is the landing part that can often be hazardous!!! I get out in flight and avoid that part!
    Sarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2