Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boots or Puttees?

Article about: Good day, gentlemen; it's Milo again. There's been something I've been pondering for a few weeks now and that is the footwear of the Russian uniform. I'm torn between getting either jackboot

?

Default Boots or Puttees?

Good day, gentlemen; it's Milo again.
    There's been something I've been pondering for a few weeks now and
    that is the footwear of the Russian uniform. I'm torn between getting
    either jackboots or wearing puttees.

I really like the look of the puttees, for some reason they seem really
    grungy and edgy looking to me. I don't know, ankle bandages just
    seem attractive to me. I'm not sure how practical they are though,
    I heard it's difficult to wrap them and/or keep them wrapped without
    them either coming undone or cutting off circulation in your leg.

The jackboots are really neat, they're sleak, elegant, and intimidating.
    They're no doubt very easy to put on, I guess my only con regarding
    them is they're much more expensive.

Do you guys have any suggestions?~

Default Re: Boots or Puttees?

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to represent a soldier or enter a fashion parade? You make it sound as though you are more interested in how your legs look than anything else. Do you really think for one minute that soldiers entering combat are all that interested in how they look? They wear their combat gear in the way that suits them best. For the record, puttees are extremely comfy to wear. They don't cut off the circulation in your legs either - unless you are daft enough to put them on too tight. Don't take offence to what I have said, but if you wish to accurately represent a seasoned veteran you really need to study how and what they wore, and why they wore it. Try and bear in mind that as a re-enactor you are trying to keep history alive. You have a duty to the public to represent these veterans as accurately as possible.

?

The boots were/are very popular here in Russia. The "loose fit" ones so to speak. Many say in a joking manner that they are the reason for winning the war Fast to get on the feet. But very important is that when/if a soldier got stuck in mud, he would be able to pull his feet out of the boots. My father in law is a former Red Army Officer. He have told me about this issue. "Rather loose your boots than your life". We have a lot of mud and bogs here. I hope it helps. I have several original pairs.

Regards, Lars

There you go. A classic example and explanation of why boots were preferred in muddy conditions! My war was in an urban enviroment, so I didn't run the risk of being stuck in mud.

?

You are correct Harry. It's all about the environment and not about looks. It's all about what works, and what works for you. As soon as we were finished as recruits back in Denmark, we "modded' the hell out of our gear and threw the issue boots

Cheers

?

I was simply asking for your preference since I respect your opinion enough to act on it.
    I'm new and inexperienced to this so I'm sorry if my seemingly innocent question offended
    you, I was just curious..

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    The boots were/are very popular here in Russia. The "loose fit" ones so to speak. Many say in a joking manner that they are the reason for winning the war Fast to get on the feet. But very important is that when/if a soldier got stuck in mud, he would be able to pull his feet out of the boots. My father in law is a former Red Army Officer. He have told me about this issue. "Rather loose your boots than your life". We have a lot of mud and bogs here. I hope it helps. I have several original pairs.

Regards, Lars
    Oh, yes. Thank you very much.

?

I am sure there is nothing offensive about your question. It's not a problem at all friend

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I am sure there is nothing offensive about your question. It's not a problem at all friend

Regards, Lars
    Thank you. For the record, I wasn't into looks, it was more or less which one was more practical,
    I poorly phrased it in my first post.

?

I am sure boots are more practical. They are fast to get on and off

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast