Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Duxford Air Show crash.

Article about: I saw these two Mustangs do a flying display at East Kirkby a couple of years ago and they gave me goosebumps, such a shame but thankfully no one was hurt Nick

Default Re: Duxford Air Show crash.

I saw these two Mustangs do a flying display at East Kirkby a couple of years ago and they gave me goosebumps, such a shame but thankfully no one was hurt

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

found a vid of it going down here:

YouTube - ‪Duxford 2011 P51 Skyraider Crash‬‏

I would say sad vid but in a way its not as all is alive and well

?

Its very unclear as to the actual bail out height, i daresay that he bailed well before people at that distance saw the chute deploy fully, but did you notice that the skyraider was very close to losing it as well, although it looks like the he flew into the P51 he did well to regain control

?

Here's another and slightly better view from another angle......

The loss of 'Big Beautiful Doll'

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Wow!! He jettisoned the canopy less than 2 seconds after the collision and still only just got away with it, that's impressive reactions under such circumstances. I hope the 'Spad' driver bought him a pint later on!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I got goosbumps just watching the video!!

?

I knew there was no way he bailed at 100ft, theyed be scraping him out of the dirt by now, and that deployment looks about the 300ft mark, still close but he fell a fair distance before it deployed, but he realised immediately that there was no control over the aircraft because the canopy fell away almost straight after the collision, that was quick thinking on his part

incredible video of the sad loss of a great plane,,,lets all be thankful the pilots escaped unhurt

I saw the video, and was really impressed by the reaction of the P-51 pilot.
    Extremely quick reaction...!!!
    Thank God he and the A-1 pilot escaped unscathed...
    Very sad indeed such a beautiful aircraft is lost, all that history behind it, but since no lives were lost in air or on the ground, then it's all right... S..t always happen.

It is worth pointing out that the 'Doll' was not actually a North American built P-51 Mustang, but an Australian reverse engineered CAC (Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation) CA-17. They built around 200 of these and an updated version, the CA-18, between May 1945 and 1951. None saw action in WW2, although some did sterling work during the Korean war.

As such, the actual cost of buying one of these at todays prices is considerably less than a genuine WW2 North American veteran at around a mere U.S. $1.8 million.

G'Day, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2