Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Normandy Trip (April 2010)

Article about: by buellmeister Fantastic Pictures Woody. I'm glad you got to experience this with your Uncle who served! What a historical significance that you'll never forget! Regards, Joel great photos

Default Re: Normandy Trip (April 2010)

Villers-Bocage

Not a great deal to see here, but this was the scene of complete havoc almost solely credited to Michael Wittmann. In less than 15 minutes, 13–14 tanks, two anti-tank guns and 13–15 transport vehicles had been destroyed by the Heavy SS-Panzer Battalion 101, the vast majority being attributable to Wittmann.

The picture of the building is where a Sherman was lurking, waiting to ambush Wittmann's Tiger. The Sherman managed to get a shot off, but as per usual, caused little damage to the vastly superior Tiger! Wittmann turned his turret, and blasted the corner of the building! You can just about make out the newer stonework where the building has been patched up!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy Trip (April 2010)   Normandy Trip (April 2010)  

Hill 112

Again, not a great deal to see here. It just looks like another beautiful piece of sprawling Normandy countryside, but obviously some ferocious battles were fought for this insignificant looking hill! Uncle Joe was involved heavilly in the fighting around Hill 112
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy Trip (April 2010)   Normandy Trip (April 2010)  

Normandy Trip (April 2010)  

Falaise

The first two pictures are of the heavilly damaged Cathedral, caused by allied bombing. And the rest are of the church which is riddled with small arms and mortar damage.

Normandy Trip (April 2010)   Normandy Trip (April 2010)  

That'll do for tonight I think!

Theres only another couple from the Falaise Pocket... I'll post them tomorrow evening. I hope you like the pics

?

Quote by WoodyUK View Post
    Hill 112

Again, not a great deal to see here. It just looks like another beautiful piece of sprawling Normandy countryside, but obviously some ferocious battles were fought for this insignificant looking hill! Uncle Joe was involved heavilly in the fighting around Hill 112
    Lee in July 1944 this was one of the most fought over hills on the planet if joe was here he certainly earned his medals.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Lee in July 1944 this was one of the most fought over hills on the planet if joe was here he certainly earned his medals.
    He certainly did mate! I've read his divisional book "The Black Bull", and all his stories completely make sense.

The thing is, actually visiting Hill 112 is strange. I think we all have a picture of what it must have been like, but it's hard to imagine that this small hill was scene to such carnage, death and destruction on both sides!! A hill that's now brimming with wildlife, colours, and such peacefulness! It completely messed with my head! I can't even begin to imagine the horror that our lads went through here!

Good evening all.

It's been quite a while since I last posted on these forums, and I wish that I was returning under better circumstances.

I am devastated to announce that, this evening, my beloved Uncle Joe passed away peacefully after a short illness. He was 92.

Joe was an amazing person. A veteran of WW2, serving with the 151st Field Regiment, Ayrshire Yeomanry - Royal Artillery - 11th Armoured Divsion. He landed on the beaches of Normandy in June 44, and fought right through to Germany.

I was with Joe during his final few hours. I held his hand, and reminisced about our trip to Normandy in 2010. His eyes welled up as I told him just how proud of him I was during that trip, and what an honour and privilege it was for me.

A short time later, he passed away peacefully.

I'll miss him terribly. Not only have I lost a deeply loved family member, but we've all lost another veteran of WW2.

RIP Uncle Joe +

Very sad to read this.

My condolences to you and your family.

RIP Joe. All of us here salute you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Terrible news-sorry to hear....yet another of the Great Generation has gone on ahead.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

RIP Joe

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast