Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend

Article about: Nice shots Ade - Barry's work is great too. It'll be nice to know when you guys have got another gig. I'm guessing you don't do many a year because that was a huge amount of work that went i

Default Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend

Hi Guys, this coming Sunday and Monday I will be attending the "World at War" show at Fort Nelson, near Portsmouth, UK.

Our group does this show every year and it is a very good event in a great setting.

WORLD AT WAR - event details | Royal Armouries

We have a Stalingrad based scenario planned which will feature a "Rattenkreig" themed living history display with some of our German comrades. This will take place down one of the forts tunnels and in a valuted celler which forms one of the gun positions and will show how the battle was fought in very close proximity.

Enclosed is a pic from a previous event which gives a good idea of the look we can acheive there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend  

Default Re: Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend

thats a great pic Ade! would love to attend but no can do unfortunatly...

Looks like a fabulous time Ade. I'm soooo jealous. You guys sure do it right. I wish I could see one of these in person. Do you haul your DP or SG-43 to these events that are close to home? I bet you'd get a second look from cops that saw you driving around with that SG43 in the back seat. It would be thrilling to be involved with a quality minded group like this. Thanks for showing.

Jay

?

Ade it looks like a great event and very authentic, on my trips to Stalingrad i've been down into the the underground steel chambers and tunnels under the Red October Factory and the massive underground hospital complex in central Stalingrad, even now it's a a haunting place thinking of the men who fought the Rattenkrieg under the city !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Jay, this is a public event, so we do "guided tours" down the tunnel into the display area. They can then walk around to see how we (and the men and women of the time) would have lived and fought. The public are often surprised that we truly live down there for the weekend. All food is cooked over an open wood fire and is done by my wife Lez. This weekend there will be 20 of us from our group taking part. We are a very organised group and all rations are bought for the members, (by me & Lez) so that allows people to just concentrate on bringing kit for the display. The public will be allowed to see the gear up close: sometimes we will dress a volunteer up in uniform, with helmet & pack etc.

I will be a taking a couple of weapons for the display, but just SMG's for this one. We will have a good number of "live" firers, as we intend to do a (blank) firepower demo and hopefully several staged defences of the celler as the Germans attack. I will be having a "live" PPSh41 specially hired for the event.

There will be smoke, sound effects etc like we have done in previous years.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend   Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend  

Attached Images Attached Images Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend  Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend  Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend  Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend  Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend 

Ade it looks and sound fantastic I didnt know about it so a bit far to go at such short notice.

I will see one of your events one day!!

Anything in the North this year?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Ade, I'm just speechless on how authentic everything looks. It almost is like really being there. I'm sure the live fire adds alot. I wish my wife had the interest yours does. Truely a family affair. You're a lucky man. Thanks for the info, and have fun! I will live vicariously through you.

Take care,
    Jay

Hello Ade,
    I do hope you will have another video made for this exercise, the last one was very good.
    Shame I can't get there to watch, the forts were our childhood playgrounds after the war, and it's good to see the excellent exhibits on display now available to the public. ( sorry didn't mean to describe you as an exhibit)!
    Good luck for "the show",
    All best,
    Guy.

Hi Nick, we have an event in Matlock in the Peak District in August. Again, a very good event.

How about this pic from a previous year to wet your appetite? (My friend Greg pictured here is NUTS! Do not try this at home kids A lot of special safety gear is hidden under the tunic. Fire retardent gel on the flesh etc. But I would not do this for all the tea in china!)

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend   Royal Armouries, Fort Nelson. Easter Bank Holiday weekend  

Thanks Paul! Ade drives the knife in my side with his event and then you twist it, telling us about walking through the holes of Stalingrad. You guys are so lucky. I hope you guys know how good you have it. Great additional photos Ade!

Jay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast