Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is using Greek or Dutch battledress that noticeable ?

Article about: In the scheme of things I would say I'm very new to actually wearing a full uniform at an event. I haven't been collecting British uniform and gear for long as well. but I am hoping to piece

Default Is using Greek or Dutch battledress that noticeable ?

In the scheme of things I would say I'm very new to actually wearing a full uniform at an event. I haven't been collecting British uniform and gear for long as well. but I am hoping to piece together a Second world war royal engineers uniform, I'm not talking field uniform for now I just wanted to start by getting the basic uniform. I'm not really looking into buying a repro battledress blouse as there usually very pricey and your better of getting a real one. I thought just until i find the actual piece, and since I'm not in a reenactment group and I'm only wanting the uniform for wearing at events. I could just use one of the Greek or Dutch battledress. I understand they are very similar in design apart from a slight difference in colour. I was just wondering if it is acceptable to start of using one of these ?

Default Re: Is using Greek or Dutch battledress that noticeable ?

Quote by The Boy In Battle Dress View Post
    I could just use one of the Greek or Dutch battledress. I understand they are very similar in design apart from a slight difference in colour. I was just wondering if it is acceptable to start of using one of these ?
    It's a bit more than a slight difference. The ammo boots in both cases, leave a lot to be desired.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is using Greek or Dutch battledress that noticeable ?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Is using Greek or Dutch battledress that noticeable ? 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Any RSM would be impressed Ned.

As a start Greek or Dutch is ok., as it closely matches Canadian BD colour wise. If you could find some original Canadian buttons that would improve things. Make sure you get a proper 37 or 40 pattern blouse though because some of the Greek BD is not the correct pattern. If you are a 40 chest or less and no more than 5'8" tall then you can still pick up genuine 40 patt BD for less than the cost of repro BD.
    As you have noticed there are some rubbish repro BD's out there!!

Hangarman

Fred Green
    ?

Hello,

Hook up with a reenactment group and use their standards for uniform and equipment. Most likely they know where to obtain original BD or quality repro items for the best cost. Going alone and getting something to pass the eye will only cost more in the long run. Get the correct item. I am sure that there are a couple of reenactors on this forum that could help you out.

Fred

Many groups would not accept Greek or Dutch BD. All quality groups would certainly reject it.

If you have a small chest size, buy a real one.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

As Ade Says, the better groups would not allow Greek or Dutch BD but as you are not a member of a group it doesn't really matter. If the only way you can take part in a 40's event is to wear Greek or Dutch then it is better than not taking part. What size chest are you?
    Cheers
    Hangarman

I'm a 36 on the chest if that helps ?

Here is a WWII Greek uniform.
    These are expensive though. Prices are almost as high as the prices of German uniforms.
    Greek ww2 Engineers Lt. tunic
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast