Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Bleaching old kitel

Article about: I have a double breasted white cotton kitel, which I want to give a proper clean, as it has a lot of sweat, rust and dust marks on it, as well as being generally yellowed with age. I have hy

Default Bleaching old kitel

I have a double breasted white cotton kitel, which I want to give a proper clean, as it has a lot of sweat, rust and dust marks on it, as well as being generally yellowed with age.

I have hydrogen peroxide, which I was thinking of diluting and then hand washing the kitel in, but thought I'd check here first to see if anyone has some advice or warnings to give.

?

No!!!

I wouldn’t put bleach anywhere near it. Even dilute, it will weaken stitching and, very possibly, the integrity of the fabric itself.
    Just a gentle hand wash in warm, soapy water would be as harsh a treatment as you should give it. That will get harmful salts out of the sweat stains, as well as ingrained dirt, but the discolouration is a natural and largely irreversible process, I’m afraid.
    As for the rust stains, they are there for keeps.

Best wishes,
    Bob

?

You’re welcome, angus...

Don’t mention it.

I hadn't seen that you replied, don't be offended mate
    I did end up washing it with some all-whites detergent and it worked a miracle though.

MAP
    ?

Quote by angus1235 View Post
    I hadn't seen that you replied, don't be offended mate
    I did end up washing it with some all-whites detergent and it worked a miracle though.
    Does it glow under a black light now? I hear that happens when you wash items in modern detergent.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)